The Watkins Award is presented annually to African American scholar-athletes since 1992, the Watkins Award is named for Franklin D. Watkins, the coach of championship football and basketball teams in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Previous awardees include Rhodes Scholar, Myron Rolle Rhodes Scholar, Justin Blalock of the Atlanta Falcons, Gerald McCoy & Arrelious Benn of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Ben Tate & DeVier Posey of the Houston Texans, Ted Ginn Jr. of the San Francisco 49ers,, Lorenzo Alexander of the Washington Redskins, Mohammed Massaquoi of the Cleveland Browns, Darnell Dinkins of the New Orleans Saints, LaVarr Arrington of the Washington Redskins, Joseph Barksdale & Matt Daniels of the St. Louis Rams, Grant Irons and Ronald Curry formerly of the Oakland Raiders, Marcedes Lewis of Jacksonville Jaguars.
The National Alliance of African American Athletes was founded in 1989. The mission of The Alliance is to empower African American males through athletics, education and public programs.
The Watkins Award ceremony will be held at the prestigious Millennium Biltmore Hotel in Los Angeles, California.
"The 2013 Watkins Award features an incredible year of fine student athletes," Everette Pearsall, Executive Director of The Alliance, shares. “Each of these young men are well equipped for success academically. We have continued to recognize and honor the premier African American Scholar Athletes in the United States.”
Finalists are chosen based on their unweighted grade point average, their personal statements, extracurricular activities, community service, and letters of recommendation. Each winner will be recognized in Los Angeles, receive an award, ring, and dinner in their hometown.
Sponsors of this year’s event include Under Armour, UBS, Deloitte, Peoples Financial Services, Roscoe’s Chicken and Waffles, Nash Management Group, Stephon Valentine Limos and Jostens Corporation who manufactures the Watkins Award trophy and rings.
Media representatives are invited to cover the awards ceremony. For more information about the Watkins Award, The Alliance, or to get tickets for the awards ceremony visit our website at www.naaaa.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org
African American Scholar Athletes receive top Honors
Los Angeles, CA (December 29, 2012) – On Saturday, February 23, 2013, at 6:00pm, The National Alliance of African American Athletes (The Alliance) will recognize another stellar group of high school athletes from across the nation for the Franklin D. Watkins Memorial Award. The award is presented each year to the nation's top African American male high school scholar athlete.
The five finalists in alphabetical order are:
* Kendell Beckwith, Clinton, LA – Member of the National Honor Society, Honor Roll of America, Beta Club, Member of Future Farmers of America , Volunteer with Clinton Community Football League, ESPN Radio Player of the Year, Times Picayune of New Orleans Defensive Player of the Year, All-District, All-State Defensive MVP, All Metro Defensive MVP, and Under Armour All American while maintaining a 3.4 GPA at East Feliciana High School
* Jordan Cunningham, Ft. Lauderdale, FL - National Honor Society, Florida Social Studies Award, President of the Diversity Club, Volunteer for Invisible Children Organization, Florida Scholar Athlete of the Year, 1st Team All County, Miami Herald All State, Florida Super 11, Miami Dolphins Super 24, ESPN Top 150, and Under Armour All American while maintaining a 3.8 GPA at University School High School.
* Joshua Dobbs, Atlanta, GA – Member of the National Honor Society, Beta Club, National Society of High School Scholars, Student Ambassador, AP Scholar with Honor, Leadership Committee Chairman, Philanthropy Committee Chairman, Atlanta 5A All-State, AHS Raider Offensive Player of the Year, Atlanta QB MVP, and Nike National Elite 11 Top 6 while maintaining a 4.0 GPA at Alpharetta High School.
* Leon McQuay III, Tampa, FL – Academic All-American, Armwood Academic Letterman, Mu Alpha Theta Academic Award, Temple Terrace Youth Volunteer, USA Today 1st Team, Max Prep Sports 1st Team, Sporting News 10th Ranked Player, Rivals Top 100, ESPN #32 Player Nationwide, and Under Armour All American while maintaining a 4.7 GPA at Millbrook High School.
* Corey Robinson, San Antonio, TX – Member of the National Honor Society, National Merit Scholar, Academic All State Team, Texas ACT Council Achievement Award, First Team All State, National Latin Honor Society, Harvard Book Award, First Team All State, and Army All American while maintaining a 4.4 GPA at San Antonio Christian High School.
Game or Competition
Class, Training, or Workshop
Meeting or Networking Event
Meeting or Networking Event