Founded in 1863, Brooklyn Historical Society (BHS) functions as a library, museum, and urban education center dedicated to the people of Brooklyn, providing opportunities for civic dialogue and thoughtful engagement. Each year, 70,000 students and teachers use our innovative programs and resources to learn about American History and scholars conduct important academic research in our Library and Archives. Through partnerships with government and community groups, BHS reaches communities throughout New York City, serving as a hub for information and ideas about Brooklyn and its complex history.
Housed in a magnificent Landmark Building in Brooklyn Heights, designed by George Post in 1878, BHS maintains an important collection of historical manuscripts, books, photographs, maps, paintings, objects, and ephemera dating back to the 17th century. BHS is a long-standing yet modern institution in both outlook and action. We are Brooklyn’s preeminent history center, responsible for preserving and presenting Brooklyn’s history; our collection continues to grow through the acquisition of contemporary and historical works of art, photographs, documents, books, and oral histories.