Austin Pets Alive! (APA!) is a 501(c) 3 (nonprofit) organization run almost exclusively by dedicated volunteers.
We are implementing innovative and progressive programs in Austin and Central Texas after studying the best practices of other cities who are no-kill or are in the process of becoming no-kill.
We have created our own “road map” that uses a lot of experience from many different places as well as incorporating the unique characteristics of the Austin area. Austin is rich in prevention resources such as spay/neuter, compared to other cities, and we are filling the gaps in service areas that have been historically under-represented, such as high volume, high quality adoption.
We are currently focused on helping the healthy and treatable pets who are at risk of being killed in a shelter, by rescuing the pets who are at the greatest risk and helping owners who are having problems so great that they need to surrender their pet(s) to a shelter.
In our rescue program, to not duplicate work of other agencies, we focus solely on the pets who have already been passed over by other groups and the shelters’ adoption programs and only take the healthy and treatable pets who are about to be killed and have no other options.
To promote and provide the resources, education and programs needed to eliminate the killing of companion animals.
• Find a new, permanent building
• Save 6,000 dogs and cats in our Austin rescue program (this is directly dependent on our first goal of finding a new building)
• Assist Austin Animal Center (AAC) with keeping Austin a no-kill city
• Continue building our dog behavior program so that we can save and rehabilitate all non-dangerous dogs with behavior issues and be a truly no-kill community
• Continue expanding toward our goal of a No-Kill Central Texas
• Expand our outreach efforts to assisting and training other shelters in the US through our American Pets Alive! arm
• Host another national no-kill conference