Looks like this event has already ended.
Explore the events happening around you, or organize your very own event.
Dear Ithaca to DC Forward on Climate Rally Bus Riders,
This email includes important information about the trip to DC on February 17: THIS SUNDAY!!! We apologize for the length of this message; please read it in its entirety and let us know if you have any further questions
- We are seeking approximately 20 volunteers to serve as small group leaders for the purposes of disseminating information and making sure everyone makes it back onto the bus.
- Volunteers will be asked to provide their cell phone number to between 5 and 10 other bus riders and to be in contact with a bus captain (Robert or Kathy) throughout the day.
- Please contact Robert Earle at email@example.com to volunteer.
Facebook group page and twitter feed
- Post and visit at www.facebook.com/IthacaToDCForwardOnClimateRally .
- This page is specifically for the Ithaca-area bus community (there is a different Facebook page for the national rally)
- Use these resources to share your photos and experiences with the rest of our group, friends and family. If you take a photo at the event, post it to the Facebook page.
- One of the most important components of attending rallies is making sure to get a strong media presence so that our communities know we care about these issues.
- On the bus we’ll be using Twitter to send messages to politicians and folks back home and across the world!
- Ithaca: Please get up early enough to make it to Wegmans with all of your gear ready to go at least 15-30 minutes prior to departure time. (Southwest corner of the parking lot)
- 5:00 am SHARP: Bus will leave Wegmans
- 5:45 am at the Sunoco Station at Whitney Point
- We want to fill every seat, but we are on a tight schedule and will not be able to wait for anyone. It will be early, but let’s start the day out right by getting on the road on time and filled to capacity.
Washington DC Drop-off/pick-up points—between Constitution Ave SW and Independence Ave NW on 15th Street NW
- The current forecast predicts mid 30s on the day of the rally; remember that you’ll be outside for at least 4 hours, so dress accordingly!
- Sierra Club will be tracking the weather daily; all updates will be posted on forwardonclimate.org.
- If you don’t get a notice by email from us, the rally is still on!
What to bring
- You can leave items on the bus. It will be locked.
- Small PILLOW for naps on the bus.
- SONGS – singing on the bus will be encouraged!
- FOOD: Best to bring all the food you will need for the entire day (breakfast, lunch and dinner).
- Quick stops both ways will be at Interstate 83, Exit 48 Harrisburg, PA—MacDonald’s & Wendy’s
- MEDICAL SUPPLIES, e.g., inhaler or prescription pills. You may also want to bring cough drops -- your throat can get sore after a day of chanting and shouting.
- WARM CLOTHES. Dress for inclement weather. We might meet some rain, sleet, snow or all of the above! It’s February! Pack 2 pairs of socks, scarves, extra layers, long underwear, mittens, hats, etc.
- CELL PHONE: if you have a cell phone, please bring it. We recommend that you charge your phone in advance even though each row of seats will have an electrical outlet.
- RALLY SIGNS and SIGN-MAKING SUPPLIES: it's a long bus ride and an important rally. If you bring poster board and markers and other such things, we can keep busy on the buses and be prepared for DC. We will have a small number with us, but not in bulk for the whole bus.
- BUTTONS OR STICKERS: for yourself or to sell/donate to others.
- We hope to have enough small-group leaders that, if necessary, someone can be contacted via cell-phone at the event. However, in the meantime, if you have any questions please call bus captains Robert Earle (716) 380-6079 or Kathy Russell (607) 351-0907.
- Please store these numbers in your cell phones in case of emergencies on February 17.
- But please keep in mind that there will be over 110 of us; thus, your small-group volunteer should be your first contact point.
Riders under 18 must be accompanied by an adult to ride the Ithaca Forward on Climate rally bus. Robert and Kathy cannot be legally responsible for any minors. If you need a parental permission form, contact Kathy at firstname.lastname@example.org
Behavior on the bus and at the rally
- Please remember to remain civil, respectful and, above all, NON-VIOLENT at the rally.
- Please, no drugs and alcohol.
- This is going to be the biggest climate rally in US history; our presence and positive energy there will send a strong message.
- On the bus, please respect those around you; it will be a long day, but let’s keep it friendly! Also, we hope we can all commit to cleaning up after ourselves on the bus and at the rally.
Group photo op 4:30 pm between Constitution Ave SW and Independence Ave NW on 15th Street NW
- Before we re-board the buses in DC, we want to be sure to get a group photo of all the Ithaca-area folks that attended the rally. There will be 5 buses heading down from Ithaca and this will be an amazing image.
- We are hoping to get some impressive media coverage from our own communities as a follow up to the event.
- This photo will be taken at approximately 4:30 pm, just after the rally, nearby where we will be loading the buses.
- Be in contact with your small-group coordinators at that time to make sure you get into the photo.
What is the most helpful thing you can do on the bus?
- Write a letter, tweet or email to the editor of some media-organization, letting them know about the rally.
- Feel free to bring supplies or information for others to help out with this as well!
- We will have material from the Sierra Club for sending postcards to politicians.
- Sing, share ideas and get to know each other! Let’s build community!
- We are at full capacity and have many people on the waiting list.
- We are expecting that you will all be able to make it, and look forward to seeing you.
- If you need to cancel, please let us know ASAP a.s.a.p. so that we can give your seat to someone else.
- Robert Earle (716) 380-6079 or Kathy Russell (607) 351-0907
We are very excited for Sunday and we know you are as well. Let’s make history!
2/17 Details from Sierra Club—Speakers, schedule and map
“There is no civil disobedience action at the Feb 17th rally. All attendees should abide by the law and directions of law enforcement personnel and rally organizers. We are the Sierra Club and you should treat attending the rally like any outing: plan well, bring everything you need and think about contingencies.”
When & Where
Tickets for the two Ithaca buses are now sold out. Please add your name to the wait list-- ANOTHER CATEGORY OF "TICKET" TYPE. ABOVE TO THE LEFT. Adding your name to the wait list does NOT guarantee you a ticket. If someone cancels their seat, we will contact you in the order of first come, first served.
Thank you for your support of the planet and its life.