Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
Fast Track to Scala
Monday, November 5, 2012 at 9:00 AM - Tuesday, November 6, 2012 at 5:00 PM (EST)
Tindr Solutions Inc., in partnership with Typesafe, is pleased to offer a two-day course, designed by Martin Odersky, the creator of the Scala programming language, and Heiko Seeberger, a recognized Scala expert, with a goal of giving you an excellent grounding in Scala.
It is intended to enable developers or development managers, who are experienced programmers in Java or other production languages like C++, C# or Ruby, to confidently start programming in Scala. No previous knowledge of Scala is assumed. Although intense, the course ensures you will have a solid understanding of the fundamentals of the language, the tooling and the development process as well as a good appreciation of the more advanced features. If you already have Scala programming experience, then this course could be a useful refresher.
After having participated in this course you should:
- be a competent user of Scala constructs in application code
- know and be able to apply the functional programming style in Scala
- know how to use the fundamental Scala tools
- be confident to start using Scala in production applications
Jamie Allen is a consultant and trainer for Typesafe with over 18 years of experience delivering enterprise solutions across myriad industries, platforms, environments and languages. A believer in the polyglot credo of using the right tool for the right task, he has a wealth of development experience with languages including COBOL, C/C++, Ruby and Java. Jamie has been developing enterprise applications with Scala since 2009, primarily using Actors for fault tolerance and managing concurrency at scale.
The presentation will frequently be mixed with hands-on exercises that give you a good opportunity to try what you have learnt and a chance to clarify your understanding. A laptop per participant is required as the training facility will not provide workstations.
Setting up the development environment
- Interactive programming in the REPL
- Variables and methods
- Expressions and type inference
- First glance at functions
- Classes, class parameters, constructors
- Fields, class parameters as fields
- Named and default arguments
- Packages and imports
- Access modifiers
- Singleton objects, companions, Predef
- Case classes
Testing in Scala
- SBT managed dependencies
- Test-driven development with triggered test (~test)
- Testing with specs2
Collections and functional programming
- Collection hierarchy, creating instances
- Type parameters
- Immutability versus mutability
- Some important collection methods
- Higher-order functions and function literals
- Functions values, function types, short notation
- Important higher order functions: map, flatMap and filter
For-expressions and for-loops
- Translation of for-expressions and -loops
Inheritance and traits
- Extending classes
- Final and sealed classes
- Overriding members
- Abstract classes
- Implementing abstract members
- Standard type hierarchy
- Traits and mix-in composition
- Pattern types
- Pattern guards
- Patterns outside of match expressions
Dealing with optional values
- Full refund with two weeks notice
- 80% refund with one week notice
- 25% refund with less than one week notice
When & Where
Tindr Solutions Inc
Tindr is a software outsourcing company with a highly skilled team of software developers and a relentless focus on getting working software out the door. We thrive on tough problems and bring our expertise to bear through consulting, product and project development and training. We are a strong Typesafe partner and have skills and demonstrated success in Scala, Akka and Play Framework.