Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
D&R Insights Maplewood CC, October 15, 2012
Monday, October 15, 2012 from 8:00 AM to 6:30 PM
Taking Food & Beverage to a New
Level at Maplewood CC
A one-day workshop presented by
Club & Resort Business
Monday, October 15
Maplewood Country Club, Maplewood, N.J.
(presented in conjunction with the CMAA New Jersey Chapter)
This D&R Insights program will provide an on-site, inside look at how Maplewood CC, in just three months time, transformed 3,000 sq. ft. of a tired lower level of its clubhouse into an exciting new “three for one” dining venue.
The story of how the club’s F&B program was turned around through innovative design concepts was featured in C&RB’s July 2011 issue and can also be read online at:
9:00 – 9:30 AM Registration and Morning Refreshments
9:30 – 9:35 AM Welcome and Opening Remarks – Dan Ramella, President, Club & Resort Business
9:35 – 10:15 AM Trends in Club Design & Renovation
Presented by Judd Brown, President and Founder, Judd Brown Designs, Pawtucket, R.I.; Wayne Jacques, President, Jefferson Group Architects, Pawtucket, R.I.; Steve McMahon, Vice President and Co-Founder, Judd Brown Designs and Jefferson Group Architects; Peter Cafaro, Director of Marketing & Business Development, Judd Brown Designs
- Overview of the private club industry: The cultural shifts in today’s world that are affecting private clubs, and how they relate to the member experience and member recruitment and retention
- Specific design and renovation trends that clubs are now addressing through facility improvement programs; what’s working—and what isn’t
- Key steps in the project planning and approval process: How best to initiate it; the best ways to communicate with members about the process, and how to ensure a positive member vote.
- Special considerations for renovations of existing facilities with historical significance but serious infrastructure issues; the “raze or rebuild” decision
- Special considerations for F&B-related projects, both for the front and back of the house.
10:15 – 10:45 AM The Business Case for “Going Green”
Presented by RJ Donnelly, Vice President, Donnelly Energy
- The Road to Green: 10-Step Process for maximizing energy-related savings
- Show Me the Money: All available incentive monies for energy efficiency and renewable energy projects
- Low-cost, no-cost Sustainable solutions
- Member-focused marketing and public relations opportunities from environmental leadership
- Available resources to assist with sustainability efforts
10:45 – 11:00 AM Morning Break
11:00 AM – 11:45 PM Taking F&B to a New Level at Maplewood CC
Presented by Michael Lusk, General Manager, Maplewood Country Club, Maplewood, N.J.
- Club/clubhouse history
- Lower level: Before and after
- Brick oven and new menu items
- Tie-ins with other clubhouse and property venues (ballroom, function rooms, patio, etc.)
- Casual dining/banquet trends
11:45 PM – 12:30 PM Lunch
12:30 – 1:00 PM Clubhouse tour, led by Maplewood CC members and staff
1:00 – 1:45 PM Baltusrol GC’s Roadmap for Long-Term Renovation Success
Presented by Kevin Vitale, General Manager/COO, and Jim Redfern, Past Treasurer,
Baltusrol Golf Club, Springfield, N.J.
- Profile/purpose/benefits of long-range plan
- Keeping the plan current and useful
- Financial model; avoiding long-term debt
- Historical capital projects
- Prioritizing capital improvements
1:45 – 2:30 PM Project Financing
(Presented by Matt Jerkovich, The Morris/Jerkovich Group-UBS Financial Services, and Henry A.
Dreyer, Banking Consultant for UBS Financial Services, Inc.)
- How financial institutions now view the financial industry, and what they are looking for to extend credit for club industry projects
- Internal financing options available to clubs; utilizing investable assets to “become your own bank” and fund projects through cash flow
2:30 – 3:15 PM Project Management: Planning and “Preconstruction” for Success
(Panelists from Maplewood CC, Judd Brown Designs/Jefferson Group Architects and
Donnelly Construction/Donnelly Energy Solutions)
- Two ways to approach a Club Construction Project: Design/Bid/Build vs. Team/Design/Build
- Assembling the right team
- Design Development
3:15 – 3:30 PM Closing remarks/Test for CMI credits
3:30 – 5:00 PM Individual meetings with project team members/sponsors during cocktails
and hors d’oeuvres