Course Description and Objectives
This two-day course, designed by Martin Odersky, the creator of the Scala programming language, and Heiko Seeberger, a recognized Scala expert, will give you an excellent grounding in Scala.
It is intended to enable developers or development managers, who are experienced programmers in Java or other production languages like C++, C# or Ruby, to confidently start programming in Scala. No previous knowledge of Scala is assumed. Although intense, the course ensures you will have a solid understanding of the fundamentals of the language, the tooling and the development process as well as a good appreciation of the more advanced features. If you already have Scala programming experience, then this course could be a useful refresher.
After having participated in this course you should
- be a competent user of Scala constructs in application code
- know and be able to apply the functional programming style in Scala
- know how to use the fundamental Scala tools
- be confident to start using Scala in production applications
- The presentation will frequently be mixed with hands-on exercises that give you a good opportunity to try what you have learnt and a chance to clarify your understanding. Therefore it is necessary that you bring your notebook with Java 6 installed.
Amir Moulavi. Amir is a Java/Scala consultant at Jayway with a great passion for programming, computer science and knowledge transfer.
Trond Bjerkestrand. Trond is a trainer and consultant at Typesafe and the co-founder of SpendChart.no
- Why Scala?
- Setting up the development environment
- First steps
- Basic OO features
- Testing in Scala
- Learning FP by collections
- For-expressions and -loops
- Inheritance and traits
- Pattern Matching
- Dealing with optional values