THIS EVENT IS SOLD OUT!
DOC Toronto Cinematography Day sponsored by SIM Digital!
Join us on June 23 as some of documentary's best directors and DPs share adventures from the field, their essential tips for collaboration, getting the shot, and the latest techniques and technologies.
Ryerson University, Heidelberg Centre
125 Bond Street, Room 201 | Toronto
The Morning Agenda:
DP and Director: Seeking a Common Language
Whose Frame is It Anyway? The director has the overall vision for a documentary, but the DP is the one framing the image. What happens when the director and DP have differing ideas about composition and shooting style - fruitful conflict, or creative disaster?
- Manfred Becker and Derek Rogers (Diamond Road, Dark Tourism)
- Sarah Moffat (Kanata, The Letter)
- Nadine Pequeneza and Stefan Randstrom (Inside Disaster: Haiti)
- Moderated by: Nicholas de Pencier, csc (Let It Come Down: The Life of Paul Bowles, Manufactured Landscapes, Payback)
What’s New?: Innovation in Technique and Technology
What is the hot gear on the market these days? Learn insider tech tips and tricks from the field, and choose the tools best suited for your picture as well as the budget.
- James Buffin (Samoa Tsunami, Jingle Dress and Chasing With Heart)
- Nicholas de Pencier, csc (Let It Come Down: The Life of Paul Bowles, Manufactured Landscapes, Payback)
- Nicolas Jolliet (Bug Eye Films, Inside Disaster: Haiti)
- Moderated by: Sarah Moffat (Kanata, The Letter, Tech Writer for Canadian Cinematographer magazine)
The Afternoon Agenda:
Presentation by SIM Digital
Presenting Sponsor SIM Digital will be discussing the latest gear and will have hands-on demos.
Wearing Both Hats: The DP/Director
How does one person manage the role of director and DP? Pros will discuss managing gear and data when shooting solo, sometimes in isolation from civilization. Find out how they fulfil the role of both director and DP effectively.
- Zoe Dirse, csc (Forbidden Love: The Unashamed Stories of Lesbian Lives, Jane Rule: Fiction and Other Truths, Jambo Kenya, Tiger)
- Mark Ellam (The Jungle Prescription, RiP: A Remix Manifesto, The Take, The Message)
- Elisa Paloschi (Embrasing Voices: The Woman Behind the Music of Jane Bunnett)
- Velcrow Ripper (Fierce Light: When Spirit Meets Action, Sacred Sacred, Occupy Love)
- Moderated by: James Buffin (Samoa Tsunami, Jingle Dress and Chasing With Heart)
June 23, 2012 | 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Lunch and refreshments are included.
Community Partnership organizations: Academy of Canadian Cinema & Television, The Canadian Society of Cinematographers, Directors Guild of Canada, I.A.T.S.E. Local 667 and the Liaison of Independent Filmmakers of Toronto.