Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
Lecture: Command of These Waters
Tuesday, October 9, 2012 from 5:30 PM to 6:30 PM (EDT)
Command of These Waters: The Naval War of 1812 on the Great Lakes, James L. Nelson
Maine author and Maine Maritime Museum Education Coordinator James L. Nelson will discuss his work in progress, a book focused on the naval war on the Great Lakes from 1812 – 1815. While the blue water navy, and in particular the heavy frigates Constitution and her ilk receive most of the attention from historians, the real fighting, both in intensity and strategic importance, took place on the Great Lakes, where ships as big as Horatio Nelson’s Victory were cruising fresh water. Nelson will discuss this little known aspect of our naval history.
When & Where
Maine Maritime Museum
Maine Maritime Museum offers a myriad of opportunities to explore Maine’s maritime heritage and culture and to experience the mystique of Maine.
Visitors can find:
- -fascinating exhibits brimming with art and artifacts
- -contemporary, interactive areas for children and adults
- -an historic shipyard with five of the original 19th century buildings
- -a Victorian-era shipyard owners home
- -an active waterfront
- -a life-size sculptural representation of the largest wooden sailing vessel ever built
- -a scenic campus on the bank of the Kennebec River