Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
Family Style: A Basque Feast - Friday, March 30th
Friday, March 30, 2012 at 7:00 PM - Saturday, March 31, 2012 at 1:00 AM (PDT)
San Francisco, CA
These dinners are SOLD OUT, but we have tons of events coming up soon. If you want to find out, sign up on our email list at foragesf.com
We got the idea for this dinner on a road trip through Nevada, which surprisingly (at least to me), has a huge Basque population. Traditionally sheep hearders, the men would often live in Basque hotels when they were in town. These hotels survive as restaurants that still serve food in the traditional way. Basically the idea is:
1. Sit down at communal tables
2. Order your entree (usually 3 choices, often with lots of lamb)
3. They bring out the sides: Salad, Soup, Veggies, Rice, all served family style, to feast on while waiting for your main.
4. The main course arrives: By this time you're half drunk on pincan Punch, a really great Basque drink, and the feast continues.
5. They serve dessert (at this point you're too stuffed to think about eating more, but the pincan punch helps with that, so you forge on).
One plate is all you need for the meal, everything is served family style, and everyone sits together at long tables. It's a lot of fun, and we met a lot of really cool people on our trip. We want to re-create that in SF. In partnership with Slow Food, we'll bring you communal tables, family style feast, and good drinks.
Where: 710 florida st
When: Friday and Saturday, March 30th and 31st
How much: $45 gets you a full family style meal, drinks available for purchase.
and the menu is....
House Cultured Crème Fraiche, Chard Puree, Vegetable Hearts
Guanciale, wild flowers
Salt Cod Rice
Salad of Little Gem
Wild Flowers, Tarragon, Champ Vin
Lamb Rosemary burnt and Braised
Clams, Squid, Octopus
Stewed Beans, Chard