Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
Harvest Sacramento: Group Leader Training
Saturday, January 8, 2011 from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM (PST)
Learn more about Harvest Sacramento, a project of Soil Born Farms here. Volunteers are needed throughout the year to help harvest fruit for donation to local food banks.
Group leaders allow us to engage more volunteers and pick/donate more fruit. This fun and rewarding position will have you leading a group of 5-10 volunteers to harvest fruit in a safe, efficient and fun manner while maintaining our high fruit quality standards and ensuring the tree owner is provided with a top-notch service.
This will be a hands-on training for volunteers interested in leading a group of harvesters at our gleaning events. We will harvest fruit from 2-3 homes and walk through the entire process of leading volunteers.
Topics covered will include:
- Volunteer safety protocols
- Site safety assessments
- Specific roles of a group leader
- Documentation: Home site review, donation reciept, accident reports
- Citrus harvesting techniques and harvest materials overview
Harvest leaders must be at least 16 years old (volunteer between 16-18 must have a volunteer waiver signed by their parent/guardian) and for the purpose of maintaining focus during the training, we are asking that volunteers please leave younger children at home (they are more than welcome during actual canvassing and harvesting events).
We always encourage carpooling. We will meet at Sacramento Food Bank and Family Services and then drive as a group to the harvest training sites.
- Signed Soil Born Farms volunteer waiver (we will have copies available at the event or download from link above).
- Closed toed shoes and clothing appropriate for the expected weather conditions of the day.
- Sunglasses, gloves, bag/box to take home some fruit
- Water bottle and light snack
- Pen or pencil and notebook