Please give this one day of your year to fight for Israel.
Israel is on the front lines 365 days a year. It is our duty to be on the "front lines" of Capitol Hill
for at least one important action-packed day. We can learn about the current issues being
championed by the ZOA and make a difference with our elected representatives. During this
exciting day, you will:
- Attend a briefing on the issues affecting Israel at this perilous time
- Participate in a special Capitol Hill luncheon with Members of Congress. Last year several dozen Congressional members addressed our delegation.
- Have a chance to interact with Morton A. Klein, ZOA President, as well as ZOA’s professional lobbyists.
- Personally meet with your elected representative and one of your Senators and their staffs to lobby them on issues affecting Israel, among them the following:
- Iran, and how to prevent it from achieving a nuclear capability;
- The truth of the Arab war against Israel;
- Aid for the Palestinian Authority, and its misuse;
- Reforms of UNRWA, the UN agency which has continued to aggravate the terrorist issue instead of contributing to the resettlement of refugees;
- Opposition to the creation of a Palestinian Arab terrorist State adjacent to Israel;
- Encouragement of increased cooperation on anti-missile defense initiatives between Israel and American military contractors;
- Support for the retention of a united Jerusalem, and opposition to efforts to make Israel’s presence in and around Jerusalem as a bargaining chip.
DIETARY LAWS WILL BE STRICTLY OBSERVED FOR ALL MEALS
Under supervision of the Rabbinical Council of Washington, D.C. (Capitol K)
All mission events will be taking place in the Russell Senate Office Building, Room 325, Constitution Ave., & 1st. St. NE.
For more information, please email: email@example.com
D.C. Mission Talking Points
Stop U.S. Financial Aid to the Palestinian Authority
ZOA is opposed to giving U.S. taxpayer dollars to the Palestinian Authority (PA) until they fulfill their signed agreements. ZOA supports the Palestinian Accountability Act, H.R. 2457 (Rep. Joe Walsh, R-IL) which has 41 co-sponsors in the House. In the last year, the PA has received more than $550 million in US aid. Since the Oslo process began in 1993, the total is several billion dollars. Since 1993 the PA has failed to fulfill any of its binding obligations, including the following:
- To end promotion to hatred and murder of Jews and Israelis in the PA-controlled media, speeches by officials, in mosques, schools and youth camps
- To show the existence of Israel on maps produced by the PA, and to discontinue the use of the Fatah emblem showing all of Israel covered by a Kaffieh in the colors of the Palestinian flag
- To imprison anti-Israel terrorists
- To outlaw terrorist groups such as Hamas and the al-Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades (the military wing of PA President Mahmoud Abbas’ Fatah party
They must also cancel the naming of hundreds of schools, streets and sports teams that have been named after Jew-killing terrorists. These intolerable naming practices honor and glorify murder, and encourage young Palestinians to become killers.
The formal written alliance between Fatah, the ruling party of the PA, and the terrorist group Hamas, whose charter calls for the destruction of Israel and the killing of Jews, establishes an additional basis to end US aid under current law [Lowey-Kirk language contained in Section 1107 of the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2009 (Public Law 111-32)]:
- No US funds can be used to pay the salaries of PA officials in Gaza
- No US funds can be used to assist Hamas or any entity controlled by Hamas
- No PA government can have any ministers who do not agree to recognize Israel and agree to adhere to all agreements signed between Israel and the PA
In fact, the PA spends about $120 million each month in Gaza, paying salaries of civil servants.
In addition, the PA has blatantly disregarded the heart of the Oslo accords by unilaterally pursuing UN membership and membership in other international organizations such as UNESCO. US law already requires the ending of contributions to organizations like UNESCO that have acted against the heart of US policy in the region. H. R. 1592, a bipartisan bill sponsored by Rep. Shelley Berkley (D-NV), requires the termination of all aid to the PA if they continue to pursue unilateral recognition at the UN.
Ø HOUSE: Urge your Representative to co-sponsor H.R.2457 and H.R.1592 to stop funds from going to the PA until they renounce and end their alliance with the Hamas terrorist group and fulfill their signed obligations. Thank the Representative if they have already co-sponsored this legislation.
Ø SENATE: Educate your Senators about this issue and encourage them to introduce legislation to address this issue.
The Palestinian Authority has never fulfilled any of its written obligations. Palestinian terrorists and terrorist groups continue to operate and continue to arm themselves. Recent headlines show that incitement by the PA continues unabated, for example, leading to the murder of the Fogel family in Itamar last year. (PMW PA incitement to terror prior to the murders in Itamar Mar. 13, 2011).
Even after this brutal murder, PA leaders named a town square after Dalal Mughrabi, who led an attack resulting in the murder of 37 Jews. (‘Palestinians honor Fatah terrorist, despite Israel’s protests,’ Haaretz, March 13, 2011).
Incitement by PA leaders continues on a daily basis. In February, PA President Abbas (“Abbas urges Arabs to fight Judaization of Jerusalem”, Jerusalem Post, February 26, 2012) denied any Jewish connection to the holy city.
The PA has refused to negotiate with Israel, and is pursuing unilateral actions in violation of all signed agreements.
Congressional holds on the aid by House Committee chairmen have been temporary, and serve only to slow down the aid. Legislation is required to deny resources to the PA. (“US lawmakers release some aid to Palestinians,” Jerusalem Post, March 24, 2012)
Aid to the PA is finding its way to Gaza and even to Hamas officials. (“PA 'spent $7 billion' in Gaza since split,” Maan News Agency, March 24, 2012)
The United States is currently experiencing significant budgetary pressures, but gives more than half a billion in U.S. taxpayer dollars to the Palestinian Arabs. This is an annual bailout of a terrorist, corrupt foreign regime that is inimical to the interests of the United States and its allies and interests in the region. A March, 2012 poll (Palestinian Center for Policy and Survey Research) of Palestinians showed that more than half of all respondents preferred to get more money from the international community as opposed to taxing themselves or cutting the PA payroll.
Further, from 1950-2011 the U.S. has given an additional $4 billion to the Palestinian Arabs through the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestinian Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA).
Despite these robust U.S. financial contributions, not to mention Israel giving all of Gaza and half of Judea and Samaria (West Bank), where 99% of Palestinian Arabs live, to the PA during the many signed agreements over the last 19 years (Oslo I, Oslo II, Hebron, Wye River, etc.), Palestinian Arab terrorism, violence, lawlessness, extremism, and radical Islamist ideology have flourished. The PA is undeserving of continued U.S. financial assistance. Giving them U.S, funds simply sends them the message that the U.S. supports their anti-peace, anti-Israel behavior and policies.
Countering the Islamic Republic of Iran
The ZOA strongly opposes the acquisition of a military nuclear capability by Iran, which would be an extreme danger to both the US and Israel. To accomplish that end, the ZOA supports continued and ongoing economic and diplomatic sanctions, as well as the credible use of military force should it be necessary, aimed at neutralizing the threat from Iran’s nuclear weapons program.
Ø HOUSE: Urge your Representative to co-sponsor H.R. 3783, “Countering Iran in the Western Hemisphere Act.” (Introduced by Rep. Jeff Duncan (R-SC), with 75 cosponsors)
Ø HOUSE: Urge your Representative to co-sponsor H.Res.271, “Expressing support for the State of Israel's right to defend Israeli sovereignty, to protect the lives and safety of the Israeli people, and to use all means necessary to confront and eliminate nuclear threats posed by the Islamic Republic of Iran.” (Introduced by Rep. Louis Gohmert (R-TX), with 69 cosponsors)
Ø SENATE: Urge your Senators to adopt related legislation as soon as possible.
Urge Members of both houses to support robust enforcement of existing sanctions and to pass new sanctions in order to keep the pressure on Iran.
• Iran has publicly called for the destruction of both the US and Israel.
· Iran has been actively attacking US interests and assets since 1979.
• There is bi-partisan consensus that it is U.S. policy to prevent, not contain, a nuclear -armed Iran.
· There is a major difference between stopping the Iranians from developing a nuclear weapon, which the President has announced is US policy, and stopping the development of a nuclear weapons capability, which is the bi-partisan policy of Congress.
• Iran has nearly achieved a nuclear weapons capability. Tehran continues to defy all international demands that it suspend nuclear enrichment and continues to either ignore diplomatic overtures or exploit such overtures to delay decisive action.
• Time is running short to stop Iran through conventional military actions, as their known nuclear research and development facilities are buried deep underground and within months critical components may be beyond the reach of Israeli weapons.
• Iran is pursuing cooperation with Latin American countries by signing economic and security agreements in order to create a network of diplomatic and economic relationships to lessen the blow of international sanctions and oppose Western attempts to constrict its ambitions.
• Iran has used its proxies in Latin America to raise revenues through illicit activities, including drug and arms trafficking, counterfeiting, money laundering, forging travel documents, pirating software and music, and providing haven and assistance to other terrorists transiting the region.
• The February 2012 IAEA report confirming that Iran’s uranium enrichment program continues unabated is yet another reminder that time is running out to prevent Iran from achieving its goals.
• An Iranian nuclear weapons capability will embolden Iran’s regional allies including Hezbollah and Hamas and would likely spur a nuclear arms race in the region and beyond.
· Turkey, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and other counties in the region may feel compelled to develop nuclear weapons if Iran is not stopped at once, causing a dangerous Mideast Arms race which could dramatically destabilize the area.
• The United States must strengthen every preventative option, including the threat of military action, and make clear its support of the State of Israel should Israel deem military action necessary. As terrible as any military action might be, failure to prevent Iran from getting nuclear weapons would be far worse.
• There can be no scenario where Iran is allowed to achieve a nuclear weapons capability and still be “deterred” from its regional hegemony aspirations and its anti-US, anti-West, anti-Israel activities:
· Non Proliferation efforts in the region would be at an end
· Iranian behavior against US interests in the region would be unrestrained
· Iran would be able and possibly willing to share nuclear technology with terrorist groups and regimes including Al Qaeda, Hamas and Syria.
• The Iranians have demonstrated continued progress in the ballistic missile field, including the launch of a 110 lb. observation satellite into orbit in February 2012. The technology to launch a satellite is essentially identical with the capability to launch an Intermediate Range Ballistic Missile.
• The United States must establish a strong U.S. posture, policy, and relationship with Latin American countries to protect U.S. interests and assets in the Western Hemisphere.
Jerusalem Embassy and Recognition Act
The “Jerusalem Embassy and Recognition Act” (H.R. 1006) has been introduced in the House of Representatives by Rep. Dan Burton (R-IN). It has the bi-partisan support of 54 other members of Congress. Senator Dean Heller (R-NV) introduced the Senate companion bill (S. 1622) with 4 co-sponsors. This act restates existing U.S. law (Public Law 104-45) which was first passed by overwhelming majorities in the House (374-37) and Senate (93-5) as the “Jerusalem Embassy Act of 1995.” Thus the Jerusalem Embassy and Recognition Act states that it is U.S. policy:
- To recognize Jerusalem as the undivided capital of the State of Israel; and
- That the United States Embassy in Israel should be moved to Jerusalem not later than January 1, 2013.
Every six months the Clinton, Bush, and Obama administrations have invoked the waiver clause of the original 1995 legislation to avoid implementing this law.
This current bill:
- Amends the original 1995 bill to eliminate the President’s authority to waive certain funding limitations for Department of State acquisition and maintenance of buildings abroad until the U.S. Embassy in Jerusalem has officially opened; and
- Requires any official U.S. document which lists countries and their capital cities to identify Jerusalem as Israel’s capital.
Ø HOUSE: Urge your Representatives to cosponsor this vital legislation. (H.R. 1006) Thank them if they have already done so.
Ø SENATE: Urge your Senators to cosponsor this vital legislation. (S.1622) Thank them if they have already done so.
Countries which are opposed to Israel have interpreted the U.S. refusal to move the embassy to Jerusalem as a lack of legitimacy for Israel’s claim to the ancient city. United States actions must not give legitimacy to illegitimate claims by countries around the world regarding Jerusalem. The US must move its embassy to Israel’s capital city, Jerusalem, just as the US has its embassy in the capital city for every other country it has relations with.
- United Jerusalem is the religious and historical capital of the Jewish people and of the Jewish State of Israel;
- Jerusalem is mentioned over 700 times in the Jewish holy books; It is not mentioned even once in the Koran, nor is it even mentioned in the PLO Charter;
- Jews throughout the world pray facing Jerusalem; Muslims face Mecca when praying;
- Jerusalem is the holiest city in the Jewish faith and is the spiritual and political capital of the Jewish people. Judaism’s holiest places, the Temple Mount and the Western Wall are in eastern Jerusalem;
- Jerusalem has NEVER been the capital of any other nation except Israel. Nor has it ever been a holy city to the Muslims. No Arab ruler other than Jordan’s King Hussein ever even visited Jerusalem during the 1948-1967 period of unfettered Jordanian rule over the eastern part of the city.
- The eastern section of Jerusalem is in fact the ancient city of Jerusalem. When the Bible discusses Jerusalem, it is talking about the area now called “East Jerusalem.” Western Jerusalem is the recently built portion of the city. Jerusalem must remain united.
- Under Muslim rule, from 1948 to 1967, Jews could not visit or worship in Jerusalem, and Christians’ ability to visit and worship was dramatically restricted.
- Religious freedom is granted and guaranteed to all by the State of Israel.
- Under Arab rule, over 70% of Jerusalem’s Christians were forced to flee the city because of Arab persecution.
When the eastern half of the city was under Jordanian Arab control from 1948 to 1967
· The Western Wall of the Temple Mount was turned into a garbage dump;
· 58 Jewish synagogues were dynamited and destroyed;
· The Jewish cemetery on the Mount of Olives, the oldest and largest in the world, was destroyed. The gravesite stones were used for roads and latrines by the Jordanian Arabs.
· Eastern Jerusalem was turned into a slum, with virtually no running water, plumbing, and electricity
Majority of the people living in Jerusalem since the mid-1800s have been Jews. The world’s most famous travel guide, Baedekers of Germany, published a 1906 edition stating that there were 60,000 people in Jerusalem
- 40,000 Jews
- 13,000 Christians
- Only 7000 were Moslems
Security experts concur that that the security of western Jerusalem cannot be maintained if the PA controls eastern Jerusalem.
This issue retains its importance in the headlines; Last month the State Department repeated its current policy that the US administration does not recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.
It is imperative that Congress pass this law to ensure that the relocation of the U.S. Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem proceed without delay.
When & Where
Zionist Organization of America
Since its founding in 1897, the Zionist Organization of America has been fighting for the Jewish people and the Land of Israel. Under the leadership of such illustrious presidents as Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis, Rabbi Dr. Abba Hillel Silver, and current National President Morton A. Klein, the ZOA has been on the front lines of Jewish activism.
The ZOA is the only organization that documents and exposes Palestinian Arab violations of the Road Map plan. The ZOA leads the efforts on behalf of American victims of Palestinian Arab terrorism. The ZOA's campaigns have repeatedly led to the defeat of hostile critics of Israel who were nominated for important government positions.