Join us for our first Yale in Hollywood - Startup Summit! Yalies are making strides in entertainment and related startups in LA's Silicon Beach, which a recent Genome Study named the #2 startup ecosystem in the U.S. after Silicon Valley.
Our summit will feature Yalie startups who'll pitch their companies, followed by a panel of Yalies and startup CEOs who'll describe what they are investing in, at WeWork in Hollywood.
- 7 - 7:30p Check-in and Networking
- 7:30 - 8p: Demo Day with presentations
- Hunter Gray, Calaborate, Founder. Hunter Gray is the founder of Calaborate and its Chief Product Officer. Backed by Los Angeles' #1 accelerator LaunchpadLA, Calaborate is an intelligent cloud platform that facilitates seamless cross-calendar collaboration. Hunter raised $1.2 million to seed the company through it's early developmental stage, staffing up, and bringing onboard veteran players. Hunter has a Yale University B.A. in Game Theory (Economics, Psychology, Technology).
- Lina Chen, Nix Hydra Games, CEO and Co-founder. Nix Hydra Games is an angel-backed mobile gaming startup for young women and creator of the virtual pet app, Egg Baby, which obtained more than 3.6M users in 6 months, purely through word of mouth. Egg Baby has been played over 100 million times. Previously, Lina set up mobile-related deals in Asia for Grooveshark, a streaming music startup and before that, she worked at the William Morris Agency. Lina graduated from Yale with a B.A. in Psychology.
- Dana Loberg, MovieLaLa. MovieLaLa is a social network and movie marketing platform for upcoming movies. Users pick their favorite movies and actors, and get reminders when their favorite actors appear in upcoming movies.
- 8- 9p: Investing Panel with speakers from Siemer Associates and other investment companies and startup CEOs.
- Dan Chen, Siemer & Associates, Managing Director. Dan Chen works Siemer & Associates Santa Monica office, with more than 14 years of investment banking, private equity and corporate development experience and completed transactions totaling over $5 billion in value. He began his career as an analyst in the M&A group at Merrill Lynch. He has a Yale B.A. in Economics.
- Dan Koopman, Yale Undergraduate Career Services. Dan flew out from New Haven to participate because Yale students are asking how they can get connected to startups.
- 9-9:45p: Social Media 101: How to Use Social Media to Promote Your Project. Yale / Harvard grad Kevin Winston will lead this workshop where we'll discuss basic tools of using social media to promote your film, web series, music, game, startup, or other project. We'll discuss how to use Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Instagram, what to post about, how to reach out to others to promote projects and engage an online community of fans and supporters that follow you from project to project. Also there's a new initiative for Yale alumni clubs to get more social media savvy we'll discuss: tag your alumni tweets with #YaleAlumni. This is part of the Startup Summit - Register.
-10p-12p. GRAVITY screening at the Chinese Theater brand new IMAX 3D which is amazing. Columbia grad Ed Harris is the voice of Mission Control. GRAVITY stars Sandra Bullock and George Clooney. We'll meet at the Chinese Theater handprint courtyard at 10p, then try to buy tix together at a group discount if we have enough people at 10:15p to see the GRAVITY 10:30p screening. Tickets are $19 unless we can get enough people for a group discount, so be prepared to pay at the box office or bring a $20. Just show up at 10p and look for our group to watch the 10:30p screening. After we will go to the Roosevelt lobby or Spare Room across the street for after-cocktails. No RSVP, just show up and look for Kevin in the red shirt at 10p. (GRAVITY screening not included in ticket price - buy your tix on your own)
When & Where
Yale in Hollywood
Yale in Hollywood organizes panels, mixers, and more for Yale alumni and friends in or interested in entertainment. yaleinhollywood.com @YaleinHollywood