World Social Media Day Cork 2012
Saturday, 30 June 2012 from 10:30 to 16:00 (BST)
Cork puts the “Social” Back into Social Media
The very first exclusively “people” focused Social Media public event will take place in the Rubicon Centre, CIT Campus, Bishopstown on Saturday June 30th from 10.30am – 4pm in celebration of World Social Media Day.
This unique event which is free to attend will feature people that have utilised online platforms to enrich all aspects of their personal lives.
World Social Media Day was started in 2010 by social media focused news site Mashable to recognise the digital revolution happening right before our eyes. This will be the second year that Cork has celebrated World Social Media Day with last year’s event attracting a massive crowd of over 200 people.
There was over 1,400 meetups in over 90 countries last year with Cork’s event ranking in the top 10 in size worldwide.
The event is family focused with the speaker’s ages ranging from 12-70 years old. The day’s events are designed to be extremely diverse so that everyone both young and old will find something that will catch their interest. There will be kids entertainment and prizes on the day.
The event will feature an array of local and national speakers from a wide range of backgrounds that have used social media in a unique way.
For the teens and adults the range of topics up for discussion on the day will include social media, online writing, food blogging, computer security, app development, journalism, autism support, mental health issues, keeping your kids safe online, and much much more.
There will be workshops in basic blog set up, basic online search skills, online writing, photography and food styling
Margaret Smith Co-organiser of the event says that “this is a chance for Cork to shine ,to show that we can produce an event which is outside the box and demonstrate how we Corkonians have a love of talk whether it be online or not.”
After the conference there will also be a night time event in the Bowery on Tuckey Street at 7:30pm for people to unwind and let their hair down with lots of prizes, music, food and craic to be had. Everyone is welcome to come along to both the day and night event.
Full Agenda for World Social Media Day Cork 2012 – 30th June at the Rubicon Centre, Bishopstown.
Panel 1 Internet Security and Coding @11am
Conor O'Neill - Louder Voice will chair the discussion.
- Conor O'Neill - Louder Voice - Internet Security and keeping your kids safe online.
- Bill Liao - co-founder of Coder Dojo and Philanthropist.
- Harry Moran - Coder Dojo and App Developer.
- Jess Hawthorne - Coder Dojo.
Panel 2 Various Aspects of Social Media Use @12.30pm
Donal Cahalane - Startup Champion - will chair the discussion.
- Pat Phelan – Maxroam - Transparency on Social Media.
- Stephen Spillane - stephenspillane.com - Politics Junkie and LGBT activist.
- Imogen Bertin - Digital Marketing Lecturer in UCC - How Social Media and the "uncollege" movement are changing options for education.
- Victor Sullivan – Sliver Surfer.
- Isabelle Norman – Mom and Blogger.
Panel 3 Social Media and Health Related Matters @2pm
Margaret Smith – Umnumnum - will chair the discussion.
- Alex Slye - Blogger and Cancer Sufferer.
- Eoin O’Connor - father of Béibhinn Hope O’ Connor who was born with a Congenital Heart Defect.
- Lisa Domican - Inventor of the Grace App – which is a non-speaking, simple picture communication system developed for people with Autism to communicate their needs independently.
- Link up with people in the US and Canada via Google Hangout @3pm.
- Link up with Social Media Day event in Limerick via Google Hangout @3.30pm.
All workshops are limited to 15 people, when registering for the event please pick which workshops you would like to attend.
· How to Blog a Writers Guide - 10:30am (Length 45 minutes – 1 hour.)
Taught by Evin O’Keeffe – Writer/Designer.
· How to Set Up a Blog a Technical Guide - 11:30am (Length 45 minutes – 1 hour.)
Taught by Evan Smith – Web Designer.
· How to Style Items for Blog Photography - 12:30am (Length 45 minutes – 1 hour.)
Taught by Evin O’Keeffe – Writer/Designer and Kate Lawlor Executive Chef of Fenns Quay Restaurant.
· Blog Photography – from Smartphone Pics to Professional Shots – hints, tips and practical demo - 12:30am (Length 45 minutes – 1 hour.)
Taught by Neil Danton
· How to Make Money from Blogging - Hints on How to Get Published - 2:30am (Length 45 minutes – 1 hour.)
Taught by Lilly Higgins
· How to Use Audioboo for Storytelling - 10:30am (Length 45 minutes – 1 hour.)
Taught by Paul O'Mahony
· *Tools to Manage Your Social Life - 11:30am (Length 45 minutes – 1 hour.)
Taught by Antonio Santos
*Attendees need to bring laptops with them.
· Use of the Raspberry Pi - 12:30am (Length 45 minutes – 1 hour.)
Taught by Conor O'Neill
· Basic Google Search Tips – 1:30am (Length 45 minutes – 1 hour.)
Taught by Imogen Bertin
· Social media for beginners 2:30am (Length 45 minutes – 1 hour.)
Taught by Ken Curtin