Women 2.0 will donate a portion of proceeds to Red Cross to assist with recovery from Sandy.
Women 2.0 PITCH NYC Conference & Competition 2012
THE NEW ENTREPRENEUR ECONOMY
A Collaborative Forum For Entrepreneurs
November 14, 2012 - Manhattan Center - New York, NY
The powerful formula of technology and entrepreneurship is the foundation for sustained growth, competitiveness and job creation – the New Entrepreneur Economy. With lower barriers to entry, new entrants are disrupting incumbent business models in nearly every industry including telecommunications, media and advertising, software and hardware, e-commerce, automotive, gaming and entertainment.
PITCH NYC CONFERENCE & COMPETITION 2012
- CONFERENCE. The PITCH NYC 2012 Conference will feature a full day of top speakers who have started and successfully lead companies in the high-tech or high-growth space, including industries like health, fashion, entertainment, sports and more.
- COMPETITION. The finalists from PITCH NYC 2012 Startup Competition will pitch onstage live in front of the audience and live judging panel for prizes including $25,000 cash and investor meetings. PITCH NYC 2012 startup competition finalists were selected and announced October 1, 2012.
- STARTUP ALLEY & FASHION 2.0 ALLEY. Check out the Startup Alley with a dozen demo tables hosted by up-and-coming startups and fashion designers!
AGENDA FOR PITCH NYC (NOVEMBER 14, 2012)
8:00am - 9:00am REGISTRATION & MORNING COFFEE
9:00am - 9:30am WELCOME Shaherose Charania, Sepideh Nasiri, Angie Chang & Patricia Araque (Executive Team, Women 2.0), Seema Mody (Reporter, CNBC)
9:30am - 10:00am MORNING KEYNOTE: "HOW TO BE A BADASS IN A PREDOMINANTLY MALE WORLD" Sandy Lerner (Co-Founder, Cisco & Urban Decay)
Hear from Sandy Lerner, the co-founder of Cisco, about her trials and tribulations as a female entrepreneur, what challenges she faced, how she overcame then and what advice she has for the next generation of entrepreneurs.
10:00am - 10:20am CASE STUDY: FROM "IDEA" TO "MILLION OF USERS" Amanda Steinberg (Founder & CEO, DailyWorth)
Amanda Steinberg will address what it really takes to acquire and keep users. She will talk about what she learned as an an engineer and usability designer, and how she applied user acquisition techniques directly to the growth of her startup, going from zero to thousands of users.
10:20am - 10:40am CASE STUDY: FROM "MILLIONS OF USERS" TO "EXIT" Sandy Jen (Co-Founder & CTO, Meebo)
Sandy Jen will address the perennial question "What's your exit plan?" and explain why that question is sometimes the wrong one, how you should think about answering it, and how millions of users can affect your decision.
10:40am - 11:10am KEYNOTE: "BUILDING A NEW COMPETENCY: FROM STARTUP TO IPO" Sarah Personette (Director of Global Agency Relations, Facebook)
Facebook's Sarah Personette will discuss the dynamics of building a team from the ground up, talk through steps taken from the concept of the idea to actual activation and growth, and address challenges in building a new team when you're a startup - and then maintaining the integrity of that team after you've gotten bigger (i.e. IPO stage).
11:10am - 11:45am MORNING COFFEE & NETWORKING
11:45am - 12:45pm PITCH NYC 2012 STARTUP COMPETITION FINALIST PITCHES (SESSION 1) Presenting Companies: Clear Returns, ActivityHero, The Muse, NewlyWish, Maternova Judges: Brad Svrluga (Co-Founder & General Partner, High Peaks Venture Partners), Joy Marcus (Venture Partner, DFJ Gotham), James Robinson (Managing Partner, RRE Ventures), Laurel Touby (Founder, Mediabistro)
See PITCH NYC 2012 Startup Competition finalists in action. Learn from real-time investor feedback.
12:45pm - 2:20pm LUNCH BREAK Sessions: Mentoring (http://goo.gl/ZjrPi), Startup Ecosystem Introductions (http://goo.gl/YFRpp)
Sign up for your lunchtime session after you register for the PITCH NYC conference. Receive your assigned seat/session when you check in the day of the conference.
2:20pm - 2:30pm AFTERNOON WELCOME Manoush Zomorodi (Host, New Tech City)
2:30pm - 3:30pm MAKER PANEL: "LIFE AFTER PROTOTYPE" Alice Brooks (Co-Founder, Roominate), Debbie Sterling (Founder & CEO, GoldieBlox), Limor Fried (Founder & CEO, Adafruit Industries), Liz Ormesher Salcedo (Founder & CEO, Everpurse) - moderated by Lora Kolodny (Writer, Wall Street Journal)
A new generation of consumer electronics entrepreneurs reveal how they started tech companies that deliver more than bits and bytes. They'll share advice about crowdfunding, getting a prototype into production, and more.
3:30pm - 4:30pm PITCH NYC 2012 STARTUP COMPETITION FINALIST PITCHES (SESSION 2) Presenting Companies: Alike, EatDrinkJobs, Citizen Made, Whit.li, LightningBuy Judges: Alexis Ohanian (Ambassador to the East, Y Combinator), Charlie O’Donnell (Partner, Brooklyn Bridge Ventures), Jalak Jobanputra (Managing Partner, FuturePerfect Ventures), Nikhil Kalghatgi (Venture Capitalist, SoftBank Capital)
More finalists take the stage. Take away tips to make your pitches shine.
4:30pm - 4:50pm AFTERNOON COFFEE BREAK & NETWORKING
4:50pm - 5:20pm AFTERNOON KEYNOTE: "DREAMING THEN DOING: STARTUP TALES FROM THE ONLY WOMEN-OWNED AND OPERATED CABLE NETWORK" Geraldine Laybourne (Founder, Oxygen Media) - moderated by C.J. Kettler (Founder & CEO, Genius Crowds)
Hear Geraldine Laybourne, the Founder/Chairman/CEO of Oxygen Media, and former Vice Chair of MTVNetworks/President of Nickelodeon provide her personal perspective on media and women founded companies. She will share how she conceived of Oxygen, the lessons learned, advice for founders and the trends she's seeing in the startup ecosystem.
5:20pm - 5:50pm CLOSING PANEL: "SEEDS OF INNOVATION: FROM WHERE DOES THE APPLE FALL?" Cheryl Swirnow (Co-Founder & COO, Sherpaa), Michelle You (Co-Founder & CPO, Songkick), Vanessa Stewart (Co-Founder & COO, Soltage) - moderated by David Weekly (CEO, Oha.na)
From industries as diverse as solar financing, health care advice, and concert tracking, hear firsthand how the founders discovered and pursued their respective opportunities.
5:50pm - 6:30pm CLOSING REMARKS & AWARDS PRESENTATION
6:30pm - 7:30pm COCKTAILS & NETWORKING
SPEAKERS AT PITCH NYC 2012
- Alice Brooks (Co-Founder, Roominate)
- Amanda Steinberg (Founder & CEO, DailyWorth)
- Cheryl Swirnow (Co-Founder & COO, Sherpaa)
- C.J. Kettler (Founder & CEO, Genius Crowds)
- David Weekly (CEO, Oha.na)
- Debbie Sterling (Founder & CEO, GoldieBlox)
- Geraldine Laybourne (Founder, Oxygen Media)
- Limor Fried (Founder & CEO, Adafruit Industries)
- Liz Ormesher Salcedo (Founder & CEO, Everpurse)
- Lora Kolodny (Writer, Wall Street Journal)
- Manoush Zomorodi (Host, New Tech City)
- Michelle You (Co-Founder & CPO, Songkick)
- Sandy Jen (Co-Founder & CTO, Meebo)
- Sandy Lerner (Co-Founder, Cisco & Urban Decay)
- Sarah Personette (Director of Global Agency Relations, Facebook)
- Seema Mody (Reporter, CNBC)
- Vanessa Stewart (Co-Founder & COO, Soltage)
JUDGES AT PITCH NYC 2012
- Alexis Ohanian (Ambassador to the East, Y Combinator)
- Brad Svrluga (Co-Founder & General Partner, High Peaks Venture Partners)
- Charlie O'Donnell (Partner, Brooklyn Bridge Ventures)
- Jalak Jobanputra (Managing Partner, FuturePerfect Ventures)
- James Robinson (Managing Partner, RRE Ventures)
- Joy Marcus (Venture Partner, DFJ Gotham)
- Laurel Touby (Founder, Mediabistro)
- Nikhil Kalghatgi (Venture Capitalist, SoftBank Capital)
After you register for the conference, we will follow up via email with a link to sign up for lunchtime mentoring. Seats are limited.
- Adam Quinton (Managing Director, Golden Seeds)
- Amy Vernon (General Manager, Social Marketing, Internet Media Labs)
- Anna Khan (Investor, Bessemer Venture Partners)
- Annie Kadavy (Venture Investor, Charles River Ventures)
- Anneke Jong (VP Business Development, Bread)
- Brian Dixon (Associate, Kapor Capital)
- CJ Kettler (Partner, Propeller Partners)
- Daphne Kis (Managing Director, Golden Seeds)
- David Weekly (CEO, Oha.na)
- Deborah Jackson (Founder & CEO, Plum Alley)
- Elena Haliczer (Director of Product, Huffington Post)
- Frank Harris (Group Product Manager, Etsy)
- Hana Chang (Emerging Business Lead, Google)
- Jeanne Sullivan (General Partner, StarVest Partners)
- Jen van der Meer (Advisor, Luminary Labs)
- Jeremy Horn (Senior Director, Viacom)
- Kelly Hoey (Founder & Managing Director, Women Innovate Mobile)
- Laurel Touby (Founder, Mediabistro)
- Lizzy Klein (VP Product, Seamless)
- Mark Davis (CEO, Kohort)
- Niamh Bushnell (CEO, MarketSprint)
- Nihal Mehta (General Partner, Eniac Ventures)
- Rahul Gandhi (Principal, High Peaks Venture Partners)
- Shane Lennon (CMO, VirtualCMO)
- Sloane Davidson (SVP Digital Marketing, Lippe Taylor)
- Steven Schlafman (Principal, Lerer Ventures)
- Suzanne Xie (CEO, Hullabalu)
- Taylor Davidson (Senior Associate, kbs+ Ventures)
- Veronika Sonsev (CEO, inSparq)
- Vivek Sharma (CEO, Movable Ink)
LUNCHTIME STARTUP ECOSYSTEM INTRODUCTIONS
- Anna Curran (Organizer, NY Startup Weekend)
- Janet Hanson (Founder & CEO, 85 Broads)
- Jessica Lawrence (Managing Director, NY Tech Meetup)
- Katie Gage (Manager of Programming, Springboard Enterprises)
- Kristen Titus (Executive Director, Girls Who Code)
- Loretta McCarthy (Managing Director, Golden Seeds)
- Natalia Oberti Noguera (Founder & CEO, Pipeline Felllowship)
- Sara Chipps (Founder, Girl Develop It)
Don't miss PITCH NYC 2012 Conference and Competition! PITCH 2012 in California earlier this year had over 1000 attendees participating in a full day of learning, mentoring, connecting and inspiring stories of product innovation leadership. They share their startup lessons learned here and here.
SPONSORSHIP / EXHIBIT HALL / STARTUP ALLEY
For more information on sponsorship packages and to discuss becoming a sponsor, please contact Sepi Nasiri at firstname.lastname@example.org
Startups! Interested in the exhibit hall or startup alley? Contact Sepi Nasiri at email@example.com
CONFERENCE VENUE / LOCATION
Manhattan Center (Midtown West)
311 West 34th Street
Manhattan, New York City, NY
Thanks to Kauffman Foundation for supporting Women 2.0.
All tickets non-transferable and non-refundable, no exceptions.
Have questions about Women 2.0 PITCH NYC 2012 Conference & Competition?
Contact Women 2.0