Whole Foods Market Santa Barbara - Kids' Day of Service Project
Saturday, September 14, 2013 from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM (PDT)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
In conjunction with Whole Foods Market and its Whole Kids Foundation back-to-school campaign, our fall Kids' Day of Service Project will provide local families with a hands-on experience of volunteerism with the Foodbank of Santa Barbara. Their Backyard Bounty Proram is a gleaning program that collects the extra food growing in local backyards for distribution to 300 nonprofit partners and nutrition programs. This is an opportunity to help a worthy cause, be outdoors, and meet new people!
Whole Foods Market is looking for 15-25 Santa Barbara County-based Volunteers to help us harvest fresh food from 1-2 location sites (farms and/or backyard). This is open to families and kids ages 5+ and we encourage this project for educating children about the benefits of giving back.
The Foodbank will provide the equipment, such as ladders and gloves. We will end the project back at the Foodbank for a complimentary lunch, sponsored by Whole Foods. Please invite your friends!
What to Bring:
- Hat or visor
- Bottled water & snacks
- Light clothing for warm weather or layers for colder weather
- Sturdy closed-toed shoes, tennis or hiking style shoes
Where to Meet: Santa Barbara Community Church, 1002 Cieneguitas Rd.
- Please carpool as there is limited parking at the harvest sites.
- All volunteers will be asked to sign a Release of Liability form at check-in.
- Although we love animals, we do ask that you leave your pets at home.
- Complimentary salad lunch will be served 12:30 - 1:30pm for all volunteers at the Foodbank warehouse: 4554 Hollister Ave.
- A guided tour of the Foodbank will also be available for all volunteers between 12:30 - 1:30pm.
All 350 Whole Foods Market stores nationwide will be performing a similar event across the US, culiminating with a complimentary salad lunch in honor of Whole Kids Foundation Gardens in Schools Program, September 7 - 14, 2013. For more information, visit http://wholekidsfoundation.org.
Did you know the Foodbank distributes over 5 million pounds of produce annually - donate today to support the purchase of nutritious produce. For more information about the Foodbank, visit http://www.foodbanksbc.org.