Whole Foods Market - Beacon Food Forest (Kids’ Day of Service)
Sunday, September 8, 2013 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM (PDT)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
- Preparing the beds by sheet mulching. To do this we put down (using wheelbarrows and shovels) 3 " of compost. On top of that we put three layers of cardboard.
- One of the (light duty) tasks is for people to prep the cardboard, peel off any plastic tape since it does not disintegrate into the soil and pull out big staples.
- Then on top of the cardboard we use wheelbarrows to bring loads of bark chips and lay them in on top of the cardboard. We do vast areas, so it's a lot of shoveling, wheelbarrowing, and raking.
- We also have a lot of grass to dig out of the beds.
- We may be planting some of the shrubs and trees that are currently in our nursery.
- We may need help reinforcing some of the recycled concrete walls.
- Watering is always a task that needs to be done, takes about two hours, for 2 people, to water the site.
- We may be building some trellises, or a bench, or a worm bin or compost bins...
- Maybe getting rid of some blackberries or other pests.
- Old t-shirt
- Work boots/old shoes you don't mind getting dirty
- Layers if it's a cloudy/chilly day
- Gloves are critical!
When & Where
Hosted by Whole Foods Market - South Lake Union
Whole Foods Market is proud to be in the South Lake Union community. We are located at the corner of Westlake and Denny and are proud to be the home to almost 300 Team Memebrs! We invite you to check out this and other events throughout the year by visiting our store's events page.