Who Cares About Kelsey? Screening and Discussion with Filmmaker Dan Habib
Monday, December 2, 2013 from 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM (PST)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Support for Families of Children with Disabilities presents a free, public screening of nationally acclaimed documentary Who Cares About Kelsey? followed by a Q&A with director Dan Habib at the Bay Theater, Aquarium of the Bay.
Kelsey Carroll lived with homelessness, self-mutilation, abuse and ADHD. She was a likely high school dropout - until she encountered an education revolution that's about empowering, not overpowering, teens with emotional and behavioral disabilities. Who Cares About Kelsey? has been featured in Education Week and WBUR and has been screened and officially recognized at film festivals, national conferences and school districts around the country.
Join us and enjoy these Program Highlights:
5:00 - 6:00pm - Registration/check-in/ mingle/meet the director (with cheese, fruits and wine)
6:00 - 7:00pm - Screening of Who Cares About Kelsey?
7:00 - 8:00pm - Q & A with Dan Habib
Discounted parking passes available.
About the Filmmaker
Dan Habib is the Filmmaker in Residence at the Institute on Disability at the University of New Hampshire. Habib is the Emmy-nominated director/producer of Including Samuel and Who Cares About Kelsey?, which have both been broadcast nationally on public television. In 2012, Habib received the Champion of Human and Civil Rights Award from the National Education Association, and in 2013 he received the Justice for All Grassroots Award from the American Association of People with Disabilities. Habib and his wife Betsy live in New Hampshire with their sons Isaiah, 17, and Samuel, 13.
Please call 415-920-5040 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. We hope to see you there!
Learn more about the film and view the trailer, go to: http://www.whocaresaboutkelsey.com/
*No childcare or translation provided.
When & Where
Support for Families of Children with Disabilities
Support for Families of Children with Disabilities is a parent-run San Francisco-based nonprofit organization founded in 1982. We support families of children with any kind of disability or special health care need as they face challenges, and we connect families and providers to the people, places, information, and resources they may need to enhance children's development and well-being.
- Community Parent Resource Center (CPRC), US Department of Education
- Parent Training and Information Center (PTI) as part of the Northern California Region 4 Collaborative, US Department of Education
- Family Empowerment Center on Disability, California Department of Education
- Early Start Family Resource Center, California Department of Developmental Services
- Family-to-Family Health Information Center, Family Voices of California
- San Francisco Population-Based Family Resource Center for Special Needs (First 5 San Francisco; Department of Children, Youth and their Families; SF Human Service Agency)