San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Legacies of War is very excited to announce that "Voices from Laos: Clearing Bombs, Protecting Lives," our groundbreaking national speakers tour, will be making its final stop in WASHINGTON, D.C. On April 30th, Legacies will host a reception at the STEWART R. MOTT HOUSE to mark the end of our tour and the anniversary of the end of the Vietnam War on April 30th, 1975. We will be joined by Members of Congress who have supported Legacies’ efforts to raise funds for clearing Laos of unexploded bombs, as well as members of the local community, representatives from the U.S. State Department, and nonprofit partners doing life-saving work on the ground in Laos.
The Voices from Laos speakers tour will have already visited 11 other cities across the country during April, educating diverse communities about the legacy of unexploded bombs leftover from the Vietnam War-era bombings. Our closing event in Washington, DC, will feature a special baci string tying ceremony to thank our speakers for their contributions to the tour and to wish them a safe journey home.
Join us on this special evening to:
- Listen to the compelling stories of Thoummy Silamphan, accident survivor and executive director of a local Lao NGO, and Manixia Thor, mother and deputy leader of an all-women's bomb clearance team
- Learn about the UXO problem in Laos and ways in which individuals and organizations are working to clear land and save lives
- Find out how you can Act to raise awareness and resources for clearing Laos of deadly bombs
- View a rare public display of historic illustrations drawn 40 years ago by bombing survivors
- Reflect on our shared history, and celebrate the progress being made toward clearing Laos of UXO
- Enjoy delicious Lao food and drinks
We look forward to seeing you there to help us close our nationwide tour and to honor our speakers as they prepare to return to Laos!
The Stewart Mott House is accessible from the Union Station (Red Line) and Capitol South (Orange/Blue Lines) Metro Stations. Valet parking will also be available for a $10 suggested donation.
Voices from Laos speakers tour is supported by a number of organizations and indivdiduals, including:
Host Committee: Sue Chinn, Tamera Luzzatto, Chanthip Phongkhamsavath, David Stern, Charles Stonecipher
Supporting Individuals: Tiff Ahn, Tiffany Bailey, Andrii Berdnyk, John Chia, Vilayphone "Titi" Chouramany, Chris Clark, Elizabeth Cross, Pablo Durana, Marice Fernando, Claire Hines, Hannah Johnson, Aenoi Jones, James Jones, Mitch Keith, Deth Khaiaphone, Pon Khamvongsa, My Lo, Mim Luangrath, Skip Muller, Norasack Pathammavong, Sai Souphom, Xai Souphom, Jessica Taylor, Connie Vengthisane, Kane Vongsavanh
Supporting Organizations: U.S. Department of State: Office of Weapons Removal and Abatement, Open Society Policy Center, HALO Trust, Stewart R. Mott House, Lao Heritage Foundation
When & Where
The mission of Legacies of War is to raise awareness about the history of the Vietnam War-era bombing in Laos and advocate for the clearance of unexploded bombs, to provide space for healing the wounds of war, and to create greater hope for a future of peace.