San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
The Brotherhood/Sister Sol would like to thank you for making our Voice 9 annual benefit such a huge success on May 29, 2013. We deeply appreciate your support of our work.
We were so pleased to honor Esperanza Spalding and Susan L. Taylor. MSNBC's Tamron Hall was a phenomenal host, Norm Lewis' singing brought down the house, and celebrity DJ Beverly Bond provided great music.
Over 400 people attended the dinner and all were deeply moved by the words of our members and alumni. Our youth and alumni spoke about developing their love of art and the written word while at Bro/Sis; they performed pieces that spoke to themes of womanhood, anti-violence stands, of cultural pride learned at Bro/Sis, of youth development and of redefining masculinity and manhood.
It was a powerful night indeed!
- $250 provides healthy meals for one week for 30 children in our after school program
- $500 pays for one student to apply to college
- $1,000 allows for two members to attend our 5-week long summer day camp
- $2,500 provides a college scholarship that is the gap funding to keep a member in college
- $5,000 provides two members with a month long experience in Haiti and the Dominican Republic this summer (exclusive of air fare)
- $10,000 provides a full year of after-school enrichment programming for two youth members.
Please utilize the "Donate to BHSS" icon above to make a donation. THANK YOU!
When & Where
The Brotherhood/Sister Sol
Founded in 1995, The Brotherhood/Sister Sol (BHSS) provides comprehensive, holistic and long-term support services to youth who range in age from 8 to 22. BHSS offers wrap around evidence-based programming. The organization focuses on issues such as leadership development and educational achievement, sexual responsibility, sexism and misogyny, political education and social justice, Pan-African and Latino history, and global awareness. BHSS provides four-six year rites of passage programming, thorough five day a week after school care, school and home counseling, summer camps, job training and employment, college preparation, community organizing training, and international study programs to Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean. BHSS publishes assorted curricula and collections of our members’ writings and trains educators from throughout the nation on our approach.