Virtualization for SQL Server DBAs
Friday, June 27, 2014 from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM (EDT)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Expand your SQL Saturday #293 Maine experience with an amazing pre-conference session!
Register by May 31st and the registration is only $129 (+ Eventbrite ticket fees). On June 1st the registration price will be $149 (+ Eventbrite ticket fees).
VMware vExpert and SQL Server performance expert David Klee leads this full-day, hands-on introduction to enabling and managing a virtualized SQL Server environment. The focus of the course is to help those new to virtualization and/or infrastructure concepts to become familiar with the concept and purposes of virtualization and how it can benefit them as data professionals. Participants will gain exposure to all layers of virtualization underneath SQL Server, from storage to hypervisor to the SQL Server instance, and will learn how to construct the entire stack with the focus on SQL Server performance.
Courseware booklets, lunch, and coffee included.
Upon completion of this course, attendees will be able to:
- Understand key virtualization and cloud concepts
- Determine the optimal infrastructure configuration for best performance
- Construct a SQL Server virtual machine template with best practices for agility and performance
- Understand how and what stack metrics to benchmark and baseline to ensure proper objective performance measurement
- Identify and remediate common virtualized SQL Server performance killers
- Understand proper virtualized capacity management techniques for long term management
Attendees with the following experiences will benefit the most from this course:
- Basic familiarity with the core components of a server
- SQL Server installation and configuration
- Exposure to SQL Server performance metric measurement and identification
A working set of the screens and configuration settings referenced in the session, together with the reference slides and documentation, will be provided to attendees, for prospective reference in working with virtualized SQL Server in their own environments.
About The Instructor
David Klee, VMware vExpert 2013, is a SQL Server performance and virtualization expert. With over seventeen years of IT experience, David spends his days handling performance and HA/DR architecture of physical and virtualized critical SQL Servers as the Founder of Heraflux Technologies. His areas of expertise are virtualization and performance, datacenter architecture, and risk mitigation through high availability and disaster recovery. When he is not geeking out on database and infrastructure technologies, David is an aspiring amateur photographer. You can read his blog at davidklee.net, reach him on Twitter at @kleegeek.
David speaks at a number of national and regional technology related events, including the SQL PASS Summit, VMware Partner Exchange, SQL Saturday events, SQL PASS virtual chapter webinars, and many SQL Server User Groups.
When & Where
SQL Saturday #293
SQLSaturday is a training event for SQL Server professionals and those wanting to learn about SQL Server. This event will be held Jun 28 2014 at USM Wishcamper Center, 34-44 Bedford Street, Portland, ME 04104.