Virginia Folklife Apprenticeship Showcase
Sunday, September 16, 2012 from 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM (EDT)
Join the Folklife Program at the Virginia Foundation for the Humanities on Sunday, September 16th, from 1:00pm to 5:00 p.m. for the ninth annual Virginia Folklife Apprenticeship Showcase. We’ll celebrate the ninth graduating class of folklife apprentices and introduce the incoming Virginia Folk Masters, with musical performances, crafts, and traditional Brunswick Stew.
The event is free and open to the public. Children and families are welcome. The Virginia Foundation for the Humanities is located next to the Boar’s Head Inn, 145 Ednam Drive, off Route 250 West in Charlottesville. For more information, call 434-924-3296.
This year’s showcase will feature masters of a wide range of Virginia traditions, including:
- National Heritage Fellow and luthier Wayne Henderson
- Legendary banjo player Sammy Shelor
- Blues Singer Gaye Adegbalola of Saffire -- The Uppity Blues Women
- Loose Strings Bluegrass Band
- Mongolian masks and dance by Ganna Natsag and family
- Oyster Aquaculture by Dudley Biddlecomb and Peter Hedlund
- Traditional instruments made by John Hollandsworth and Walter Messick
- Caromont Farm Cheeses
- Shoe Cobblers Dave and Yvonne Young
- Shape Note Singing with the Sacred Harp Singers
- the Proclamation Stew Crew
- The Fried Apple Pie Lady Frances Davis
And much more!