Valley Bicycle Summit
Saturday, September 15, 2012 from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
We invite you to attend the 1st annual Valley Bicycle Summit on September 15, 2012 at Fargo South High School, a day full of opportunities for families and individuals to learn more about taking your bicycling skills to the next level. Come for all or part of the day for sessions on how to safely get around town by bicycle, whether with your kids or if you want to commute to work. Don’t bike? Hear from local riders on how automobile drivers should interact with bicyclists on the road. The event is completely free, and will include lunch for all participants. Bringing a bike is optional, but encouraged.
The day begins at 9:30am with a presentation from Dorian Grilley, Executive Director of Bike MN, Minnesota’s statewide bicycle advocacy organization, and will end with group rides for families and advanced riders. Topics during the day include: bicycle repair classes, confidence cycling classes, an introduction to equipment for commuting, community involvement opportunities for cyclists, how to encourage your children to bike more, the mental and physical benefits of biking, and how to map your commute or errands by bike and bus so you don’t have to drive.
Throughout the day we will have a semi-truck available for participants to get in the driver’s seat and experience the blind spots that all bicyclists and drivers should be aware of. MATBUS will also have a bus available to practice loading and unloading your bike from the front rack. Vendors from local businesses will be on hand to help you and your family transition to confident bicyclists.
We are excited to have cycling experts from around to region on hand to answer any questions you have.
Planning on coming? Let us know by using this page!
A special thank you to Active in Moorhead for sponsoring our event. Metro COG is the region's transportation planning agency.
Contact Katie White with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org or 232-3242 x35
When & Where
The Fargo-Moorhead Metropolitan Council of Governments (Metro COG) is the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for the Fargo-Moorhead area. The Fargo-Moorhead urban area is composed of the cities of Fargo, Moorhead, West Fargo, and Dilworth, plus eight townships in both Cass and Clay County. Core functions of Metro COG include:
* Establishing a fair and impartial setting for effective regional decision making;
* Evaluate transportation alternatives by collecting data, understanding issues, and creating a vision for the region;
* Develop and update a Long Range Transportation Plan, covering a planning horizon of at least 20 years, that fosters mobility for people and goods, efficient transportation system performance and preservation, and quality of life;
* Develop a Transportation Improvement Program based on the long-range transportation plan and designed to serve are transportation goals;
* Involve the general public and all significant affected sub-groups in the functions listed above;
* Thus the principal role of Metro COG is to harmonize the activities of federal, state, and local agencies; to render technical assistance and encourage public participation in the development of the area