Love the localvore movement? Ever thought you might like to try keeping your own chickens? Come get a rundown of popular breeds, coop design, feeding and care, health, laws and zoning, info on how to appease your neighbors and everything else you might want to know about keeping urban poultry. The instructor will have a few members of her flock along for you to meet in person and if they've been cooperating lately, students might receive fresh eggs, too!
To educate students in basic urban poultry care and considerations, and offer a forum for questions and discussion.
Students should bring a notebook and pen to take notes.
Asylum renter Khrysti Smyth (aka "Khya" or "Your Chickeness") grew up tracking down every kind of animal she could find, and learning everything she could about them. Her most recent animal passion is poultry, and she has countless hours of research over 3+ years of keeping, breeding, hatching, and showing poultry to share with you! Recently featured on Animal Planet's "Pets 101", heard on Boston's NPR radio station, and lately acting as the Official Poultry Consultant for the City of Somerville, come learn about keeping urban poultry from the "Chickeness of Somerville"!
Friday, June 22, 7:30-9:30 PM
When & Where
Artisan's Asylum, Inc.
Artisan's Asylum is a 40,000 sq. ft. member-based non-profit community fabrication center located in Somerville MA, dedicated to making creativity a way of life. Our mission is to support and promote the teaching, learning and practicing of design & fabrication by offering:
* Shared design and fabrication tools and equipment in our various community workshops.
* A large range of publicly-accessible classes offered by local artisans.
* Various monthly membership structures allowing access to our facility.
* On-site studio and storage rentals allowing members to create and store projects on-site.
* Hosting local craft-related events to help encourage DIY culture and community craftsmanship.