"Unhappy Hour" 2013 Pay Equity Event - Open to the Public
Tuesday, April 9, 2013 at 5:30 PM
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Join us for Unhappy Hour!
- Free and open to men and women 21 years of age and above.
- Althea Luehrsen, Executive Director of Leadership Buffalo and expert on the issue of the gender pay gap, will be the featured speaker.
- Wear the color red, the color of Pay Equity, and your name will be entered into adrawing for a door prize!
- Women will enjoy discounted drinks, representing the disparity in pay betweenmen and women!
- “Unhappy hour” is a fun and unique way to commemorate National Equal PayDay, Tuesday, April 9, 2013.
The Erie County Commission on the Status of Women (ECCSW), together with collaborators American Association of University Women (AAUW), Junior League of Buffalo and the Canisius College Women's Business Center is hosting an "Unhappy Hour" in honor of Equal Pay Day, April 9, 2013 at Templeton Landing, located in Downtown Buffalo on the waterfront. We are hoping you are interested in being a sponsor of this important (and fun!) event.
National Equal Pay Day, Tuesday, April 9, 2013, is a date that symbolizes how far into 2013 women must work to earn what men earned in 2012. Equal Pay Day was originated by the National Committee on Pay Equity (NCPE) in 1996 as a public awareness event to illustrate the gap between men's and women's wages. (source: National Committee on Pay Equity: NCPE) .
Among issues identified as important to women, 90 percent say equal pay for equal work is a priority. This is not surprising since the wage gap is a pervasive issue affecting women in all walks of life, regardless of marital, familial, or employment status. Pay disparities are not limited to one career or to one demographic, and affect women of all ages, races, and education levels - regardless of their family decisions. According to the U.S. Census Bureau and Bureau of Labor Statistics, women who work full time earn about 77 cents for every dollar men earn. (source: AAUW position paper on Pay Equity, November 2012).
At the “Unhappy Hour,” attendees will have an opportunity to learn more about the issue of Pay Equity from our featured speaker, Althea Luehrsen, network with other professionals, and gain some helpful tips on negotiating. Appetizers will be provided. Drinks will be at Templeton Landing Happy Hour prices.
The event begins at 5:30 p.m.
Open to the Public. Please register via eventbrite so that attendance numbers can be tracked.
Proudly Sponsored by:
- Insty Prints
- Rupp, Baase, Pfalzgraf, Cunningham and Coppola, LLC
- Junior League of Buffalo
- Canisius College
- American Association of University Women
- UB Alumni Association
- Erie County Commission of the Status of Women
- Junior League of Buffalo
- WNY Women's Foundation