Tricks 4 Treats
Sunday, May 5, 2013 from 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM (EDT)
Altamonte Springs, FL
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
We will be preparing for future community work by teaching our dogs various tricks. Our specific goal is to teach tricks that will help us fundraise with the Salvation Army in December, so we will focus on shaping our dogs to take money that's offered, carry a basket, and ring a bell. These skills are used in both the Trick badge and Community Service badge awarded by DSA.
Teaching tricks increases the quality of life for our dogs by:
- building confidence through the perception that they have more control over their environment,
- bringing more clarity to our cross-species communication,
- strengthening the human-canine bond, through cooperation and teamwork,
- providing mental stimulation (relieving boredom),
- enhancing physical conditioning (muscle control and core stabilization),
- making every day pet care more convenient and less stressful, and
- releasing endorphins (stress relieving chemicals) while eating treats and being petted.
The principles of shaping can be applied to teaching our dogs any trick and therefore opens up great possibilities for having fun while learning new things.
Please bring a hungry dog (i.e. no food/treats after 9 a.m.), a clicker, and 4-5 different types of soft, moist treats that your dog finds yummy.
We hope you'll join us as we work on Tricks 4 Treats.