Bummer! Sales have ended.
Unfortunately, tickets for this event are no longer on sale.
2:00 pm - 3:30 pm
Translation as Muse : Writers Who Translate
- Frédéric Boyer (Translator and writer / FR)
- Keith Gessen (Translator and writer / USA)
- Mary Jo Bang (Translator and poet / US)
- Hosted by Eric Banks (Director of the New York Institute for the Humanities and critic/US)
Many writers also translate. What role does translation play in their creative process? For some writers and playwrights such as Frédéric Boyer, the two activities aren’t even distinguishable: returning to works of the past and rewriting them in another language is the requisite for a new writing. In other cases, does translation nurture writing or can its ontological uncertainty be an impediment to the development of one’s own voice?
- CUNY Graduate Center
- NYU Humanities Initiative
- NYU Comparative Literature Department
- NYU Graduate Center for translation studies
- Online magazine Words Without Borders
- Online magazine The New Inquiry
- The Cultural Services of the French Embassy in the United States
- October 21, 2013: Lecture by Frédéric Boyer at Bard College