Transamerica Chicago Triathlon: Open Water Swim Clinic #3
Tuesday, July 8, 2014 from 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM (CDT)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
2014 OPEN WATER SWIM CLINICS
The Transamerica Chicago Triathlon is pleased to again launch a complimentary series of clinics specifically designed to help new triathletes safely enter into -- and properly prepare for -- our wonderful sport.
With the help of fellow coaches, veteran athletes and other volunteers within the local tri community, our goal is to promote the benefits of the multisport lifestyle and increase triathlon participation.
Without a doubt, the swim is the most intimidating event for new triathletes. In reality, experienced triathletes consider the swim much easier than the bike or run. The swim portion is faster, low intensity and much easier with a wetsuit. After a few sessions, we think you'll agree with us!
This clinic is perfect for first-timers, especially those who have never worn a wetsuit, although everyone is invited. This session features two swim options:
1. Half or Full Mile Swim
Those interested in swimming longer distances alongside others will be briefed, guided to the water and started together (like a race simulation). Turn buoys will be placed along a dedicated swim course, at both 1/4 and 1/2 mile marks. Certified coaches will swim with the group to ensure safety and offer assistance.
2. Swim Clinic
If you are new to open water swimming, or need to refine your swim skills, our Swim Clinic is perfect for you. This option is truly focused on newbies -- including those who have never worn a wetsuit. A fleet of local coaches will offer basic tri eductation, then lead you through several swim drills with one-on-one feedback. Swimmers will be divided into smaller groups as they enter the water. There we will walk you through several activities and drills - all in shallow water - designed to acclimate you to open water swimming in triathlon.
- How open water swimming differs from the pool
- Rules of the triathlon swim
- Swim etiquette at Ohio Street Beach
- Properly wearing / peeling-off a wetsuit
- Common triathlon swim issues (hyperventilating, breathing, sighting)
- 5:00 PM Registration Opens, Wetsuit Rental & Gear Check Open
- 6:00 PM Registration Closes, Participant Briefing (on beach)
- 6:10 PM Swim Clinic + Long Distance Swim Begins
- 7:00 PM Swim Session Concludes, Social Outing at Caffe' Olivia
- 7:15 PM Gear Check closes
WHAT TO BRING
- Swim Suit
- Water Bottle (water fountain available on the beach)
- Wetsuit (optional, if you already have one)
- $10 Cash (if renting wetsuit, on-site)
- Drivers License (as collateral if renting wetsuit)
- Extra $ for post-event socializing
- Plastic baggie for your cell phone and valuables (should it rain)
> Register Now! If you're not yet registered for the 2014 Transamerica Chicago Triathlon, now is the time! Both Sprint and International distances are nearing 75% capacity. Regsiter at www.chicagotriathlon.com.
> Wetsuits: If you do not own a wetsuit, don't worry! Fleet Feet Sports will supply 50 demo wetsuits for you to experiment with (first-come, first-served). They charge a $10 rental fee, which is offset in the form of a store gift card. Use that credit towards buying your suit! Plan to bring a valid ID (as collateral) when renting a wetsuit.
> Post-Swim Social: After the session, plan to congregate with everyone at Caffe' Olivia: The Offical Bar of the Transamerica Chicago Triathlon (adjacent to the beach) for $3 beer specials. Discounted parking is also available through the Caffe'. Details below.
> Charity Donations: This event is complimentary for the first 100 registrants, although we recommend a suggested donation of $5 to RSVP for this event. After the first 100 registrations, a mandatory donation (of at least $1) will be required.100% of ALL proceeds will be divided among our Transamerica Chicago Triathlon charities.
> Other Notes: Space is limited. Please read the details below before registering for this session:
- Come dressed for the swim. Ohio Street Beach does not have adjacent changing facilities.
- Gear check is for bags and loose items only (keys, wallets, etc.). We cannot be responsible for bikes and other large gear.
- Separate swim instruction will be offered for both new and experienced swimmers.
- Don't worry if you are not efficient in the water, we'll help you!
- We will only utilize the shallow parts of Ohio Street Beach. Life guards and/or certified coaches will also be on-hand.
- $8 discounted parking is available at the Peshtigo Residential Building Public Garage, located at 509 N. Peshtigo Ct. (immediately west of Lake Shore Drive, between Grand and Illinois Ave. Validate your parking ticket at Caffe' Olivia.
When & Where
For more than thirty years, triathletes have gathered on the shores of Lake Michigan for one of the largest triathlons in the world.
As part of the Life Time Tri portfolio, more than 10,000 athletes converge in Chicago for this premiere urban triathlon. The Transamerica Chicago Triathlon offers an action-packed tour through one of America’s signature metropolises.
Race weekend also includes the Chicago Triathlon SuperSprint and the Life Time Kids Tri Chicago, presented by CLIF Kid, the largest youth triathlons in the world drawing more than 1,200 children ages 7–14 in itself.
For more information on the Chicago Triathlon, visit www.chicagotriathlon.com