Trailblazers in Independent Film: Screenwriting and Producing Outside the Studio System (ScreenCraft Seminar Series)
Wednesday, March 20, 2013 at 7:30 PM (PDT)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Don't miss this new ScreenCraft Seminar Series "Trailblazers in Independent Film: Screenwriting and Producing Outside the Studio System" -- Q&A panel and exclusive networking event.
Where & When: LA Film School's Main Theatre, Wed March 20th 2013 at 7:30pm.
Featuring legendary film producer CASSIAN ELWES! Join the independent film industry's most successful and rising producers and screenwriters in a lively seminar discussion about the quickly changing industry landscape for screenwriters, producers and financiers. What are the opportunities and pitfalls in the year ahead for independent filmmakers? This month's all-star cast of independent film trailblazers includes:
- Cassian Elwes
- Producer: BLUE VALENTINE, MARGIN CALL, LAWLESS, AIN'T THEM BODIES SAINTS, THE PAPERBOY
- The Hollywood Reporter recently wrote that Cassian Elwes was "involved in a virtual who's who of every great independent film of the last ten years." A veteran independent film producer, Cassian is an expert in the intricacies of independent film financing and distribution. As an agent at William Morris, he headed the prolific William Morris Independent for 22 years, packaging and championing such projects as THE ENGLISH PATIENT which won Best Picture, SLINGBLADE, THE APOSTLE and MONSTER'S BALL which won the Oscar for Halle Berry. Cassian's producing banner, Evolution, develops and greenlights films from script to screen. His upcoming projects include THE DALLAS BUYERS CLUB starring Jennifer Garner and Matthew McConaughey, and THE BUTLER starring John Cusack, Melissa Leo, Cuba Gooding Jr. and Robin Williams.
- Jordan Horowitz
- Producer: THE KIDS ARE ALL RIGHT, SAVE THE DATE
- Listed in Variety's "Producers to Watch," Jordan Horowitz is Vice President of Production and Development at Gilbert Films, a Los Angeles-based production company. Gilbert Films, founded by Gary Gilbert, develops, finances and produces independent films with credits that include GARDEN STATE, THE KIDS ARE ALL RIGHT, MEET VERONICA VELOUR, MARGARET and FROM PRADA TO NADA. His upcoming film YOU ARE HERE is currently in post-production and stars Zach Galifianakis, Owen Wilson and Amy Poehler.
- Adam Simon
- Screenwriter: THE HAUNTING IN CONNECTICUT, BONES
- Adam Simon is a screenwriter and director. His script THE HAUNTING IN CONNECTICUT was produced by Gold Circle and released by Lionsgate, earning over $77 million worldwide.
- Matt Miller
- Producer: TOO LATE (starring John Hawkes)
- Prior to starting his own production shingle with partner Erich Lochner, Matt Miller learned filmmaking from the best directors in the business, working as AD for such A-list directors as Sean Penn, Gus Van Sant, Clint Eastwood, Christopher Nolan, Mark Ruffalo and Gore Verbinski. His company has several upcoming films in development and production.
- Sean Covel
- Producer: NAPOLEON DYNAMITE, CONCRETE BLONDES
- Straight out of USC's Stark Producing Program, Sean Covel produced a quirky little comedy that quickly became an iconic hit of indie film; Napoleon Dynamite sold at Sundance and went on to gross over $50 million worldwide. Sean has been busy producing, teaching and writing. Sean is packaging his next feature film and directorial debut, MATT EPIC, to be produced later this year.
Take this opportunity to meet screenwriters, producers, filmmakers and seasoned industry pros. This event is open to anyone who works in the entertainment industry. The venue space is limited and will fill up quickly, so reserve your ticket now!
When & Where
ScreenCraft.org is a screenwriters' resource and consultancy based in Los Angeles. Our mission is to help screenwriters master their craft and connect them directly with studios and independent producers who need GOOD SCRIPTS.