Learn how to safely operate Asylasaur - the Artisan's Asylum laser cutter and the Epilog Helix laser engraver! Asylasaur is a 100W CO2 laser cutter built by the Artisan's Asylum community based on the Lasersaur open source laser cutter project.
This 2-hour basic training class will cover some basics on how laser cutters work and review operating procedures for the laser cutters, including information on the variety of different materials that can be used in the machines.
Testing will be required before students can use the tool independently as members. Students will get to create a small item as part of the testing!
Note this is not a modeling class, and will not teach students how to create designs to cut. To learn more about modeling and design, check out our offerings in Inkscape, AutoCAD, 123D Make, and Blender on our classes page.
- Understand principles of laser cutting and etching
- Learn what makes materials safe to use in the laser
- Learn how to set up, shut down and clean the laser cutters
- Learn how to user LasaurApp, the front end application for the cutter
- Be prepared to deal with problems that may arise while using Asylasaur
- Be able to reserve Asylasaur, the Helix and use them independently.
- Be able to exchange meaningful "Pew pew!" exclamations with other laser pilots.
No prior experience is required to operate the machine.
Students without experience working with Inkscape or other 2D modeling software will need to investigate working with vectors or take additional classes (listing available here).
Students must be at least 18 years old.
Tools and materials for a small project will be provided.
What to Bring:
Students should bring something to write with/on if they would like to take notes but slides will be provided to students after class.
Brian C. Johnson manages the Digital Fabrication Lab at the Artisan's Asylum and incorporates laser cutting and etching into many of his projects.
Laser Cutter training is generally available one weeknight and one weekend afternoon every month. See drop-down menu above for specific dates and times available.
ARTISAN'S ASYLUM STUDENT POLICIES
After you buy your ticket here on Eventbrite, please register in Artisan's Asylum's system: https://artisansasylum.com/membership/registration/
Save This Event
When & Where
Artisan's Asylum, Inc.
Artisan's Asylum is a 40,000 sq. ft. member-based non-profit community fabrication center located in Somerville MA, dedicated to making creativity a way of life. Our mission is to support and promote the teaching, learning and practicing of design & fabrication by offering:
* Shared design and fabrication tools and equipment in our various community workshops.
* A large range of publicly-accessible classes offered by local artisans.
* Various monthly membership structures allowing access to our facility.
* On-site studio and storage rentals allowing members to create and store projects on-site.
* Hosting local craft-related events to help encourage DIY culture and community craftsmanship.