Join filmmaker and photographer Henry Jun Wah Lee for an intimate, hands-on timelapse workshop in Joshua Tree, California during the August 2013 Perseid Meteor Shower. This four day workshop, held August 8th to 11th, 2013, is limited to only 8 participants.
Learn from one of the top timelapse shooters in the world as Henry shares his knowledge and wisdom through in-class training as well as hands-on practical instruction while shooting in the field. Experience breathtaking, otherworldly landscapes of Joshua Tree as Perseid meteors and the galactic core of the Milky Way illuminate the night sky. This year's meteor shower will be extra special as it occurs close to a new moon. Without light interference from moon, we will have optimal conditions to capture meteors, stars and the Milky Way.
The workshop is open to all skill levels and covers everything from the basics, to shooting advanced multi-axis, motion-controlled, and astro/night sky timelapses. Kessler Crane will be providing professional timelapse motion control equipment for participants to use during the workshop. Among the equipment you will be able to try out include the Cineslider, Shuttle Pod, Shuttle Pod Mini, Crane, Pocket Dolly, Revolution Head, Oracle controller and the latest 5-axis CineDrive system.
What You Will Learn
Timelapse photography is both an art and a science. You will learn all of the skills and techniques Henry uses to shooting professional quality timelapses, including workflow, planning, composition, camera gear, accessories, shooting techniques, camera settings, post processing and editing. We will also discuss common mistakes as well as known challenges and their solutions so that you will be prepared when things don't go as planned. And things often don't go as planned! More importantly, you get to learn the essence of timelapse beyond equipment and numbers that you can not get from books or online forums. For four days you will be fully immersed in the craft of capturing the magic of nature.
What You Will Need to Bring
- Camera – DSLR or micro 4/3 mirrorless. A camera that has manual exposure settings and can shoot RAW is highly recommended.
- Lenses – fast lenses (f/2.8 or faster) are highly recommended for capturing the night sky. Bring all the focal lengths you want to shoot with but be sure to bring a wide or ultra wide angle lens.
- Memory cards – 32 GB or larger cards are highly recommended
- Plenty of extra batteries and battery charger – expect to use 2-4 batteries per day. A battery grip that holds 2 batterys will allow you to shoot longer sequences without running out of power
- Headlamp or flashlight – One with a dimmer function and a red light / filter option is recommended.
- Laptop computer – to preview, process and edit your shots. Bring a memory card reader or usb cable for your camera so you can transfer your shots.
- Smart Phone – there are some helpful and powerful apps that are hard to live without.
- Neutral Density Filters
Early Registration: $1395 (register by July 15th)
Regular Registration: $1595
Note: Workshop fee does not include lodging, transportation, food or park fees.
Cancel on or before July 19: Full Refund
Cancel on or before July 26: Refund minus $300
Cancel after July 26: No refund
When & Where
Henry Jun Wah Lee
Henry Jun Wah Lee is an internationally-recognized filmmaker and photographer. He is also a practicing Physician of Traditional Chinese Medicine based in Los Angeles.
Henry's passions for art, nature and medicine come from his belief that the healing powers of nature can rejuvenate the body, relax the mind, open the heart and free the spirit.
His work has appeared worldwide on television and film. They have also been featured on Yahoo, MSN, AOL, The Weather Channel, Gizmodo, Mashable, Petapixel, io9, NPR, Pitchfork, Huffington Post, Slate, LA TImes, The Atlantic, and more.
Henry's clients include Sigur Ros, Mono, BBC, PBS, Epson, Panasonic, SmugMug, Japan Railroad Company, the British Government and the European Union.