4 Hour Intensive Entrepreneurial Thinking Class
See the short video about this class at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21RBDqRjlBY
What they say about the class
“Like drinking from a fire hose.”
“An exercise in self-discovery that any entrepreneur – current or future – needs to experience.”
“After this class, I knew a smaller percentage of what there is to know. The reason is that Gary Hoover expanded my horizons.”
“Gary’s energy and deep insight lend themselves to an exciting and educational class everyone should attend.” – Student, Age 15
“A class that inspired me to create and become an entrepreneur.” – Student, Age 18
“An excellent overview of what it takes to be an entrepreneur and entrepreneurship. A great class for young people who want to learn.”
Who it’s for: Any student of any age who is interested in learning about entrepreneurship, changing the world, controlling their own destiny, or becoming an entrepreneur (in the for-profit or non-profit world). It’s not for those who are satisfied, patient, lazy, or those who think they can’t have an impact on the world around them.
When: Sunday March 11, 1 to 5 PM.
Where: Acton MBA Campus, 1404 E Riverside, Austin, Texas (Just northeast of the corner of I-35 and Riverside, just south of Lady Bird Lake.)
Price: $69 for those under 21, $129 for those 21 or over. Limited to 50 people per session.
Makes a great gift to any person you care about!
Teacher: Gary Hoover. Gary became interested in business when he was 12 years old, went on to work on Wall Street picking stocks, head up strategic planning for a multibillion-dollar company, start the nation’s first book superstore chain, found the company that became Hoover’s and now employs hundreds here in Austin, and found two other startups, once of which failed (plenty of lessons there!). In recent years he has focused on teaching and helping other entrepreneurs. He has over 190 new ideas for businesses, and comes up with more all the time. He has reviewed about 500 business plans in the last couple of years. For more on Gary, see http://hooversworld.com/gary-hoover. See his video blog at http://www.youtube.com/hooverbits.
Added benefits: Each attendee will receive a copy of Gary’s book, The Art of Enterprise, in PDF form via email after the class, a $10 value (see http://www.scribd.com/doc/25085990/The-Art-of-Enterprise-by-Gary-Hoover-January-2010 ).
Some of the Key Ideas Covered in the Class:
· What is entrepreneurship?
· What is an entrepreneur? Might you be or become One?
· It’s about you and it’s about others, serving others and serving yourself.
· Entrepreneurship and entrepreneurial thinking applies to for profits and nonprofit, startups and giant companies, even schools and governments …
· The importance of passion
· The unique journey, there are no formulas or recipes to follow, …
· Entrepreneurs are grown, not born
· The idea of the yin and yang (s) of entrepreneurship
· What is wisdom?
· The importance of curiosity, lifelong learning, exploration and discovery
· The five ways we learn, key tools for entrepreneurs
· Entrepreneurial characteristics and attitudes
· Understanding others, seeing opportunities
· Find a need and fill it; wants and needs
· Understanding others, walking in their shoes, seeing through their eyes
· You may also be a customer, getting ideas from your own experiences
· There’s always a better way of doing things
· Seeing trends, seeing the future: demography, aging baby boom, Hispanic America, …
· Industries: it’s a service economy
· Geography: It’s a global world
· Learning from the past, studying the great enterprises and their leaders
· Thinking in new ways (seeing the big patterns, redefining things, deep innovation, grid thinking)
Making It Happen:
· Turning your idea into an enterprise, your vision into reality
· Becoming an expert on your industry and understanding the competition
· Importance of a clear vision
· Importance of a consistent vision
· Importance of a unique vision
· Role of business planning
Making up the to do lists, compiling what you need to do when, and what resources you need