Bummer! Sales have ended.
Unfortunately, tickets for this event are no longer on sale.
Join the Commission as we hear from community leaders about the human rights issues facing Chattanoogans.
The Tennessee Human Rights Commission will hold Hearings in Spring 2014 in communities across the state. Leaders from community organizations, government, advocacy groups and researchers will bring testimony related to their own areas of expertise. These written and oral testimonies will be included in the forthcoming report, “The State of Human Rights in Tennessee” from the Commission. The final report will include information from those bringing testimony in addition to statistics, trends and information from the Commission’s own work, safeguarding individuals from discrimination through enforcement and education.
9:30 AM - Welcoming Remarks & Commission Overview
- James Mapp, Chattanooga NAACP, on racial disparities in education and employment
- Perrin Lance, Chattanooga Organized for Action, on affordable housing needs
- Valerie Radu, Grove Street Settlement House, on violations in housing, employment and access to healthcare
- Deborah Hyde, Parent Advocate, on discrimination facing students with intellectual disabilities
- Jerry Redman, Second Life Chattanooga, on human trafficking and need for residential recovery
- Jean-Marie Lawrence, Disability Rights Advocate, on rights of individuals with disabilities on a global level
Directions: The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, University Center, is located at 642 East 5th Street, Chattanooga, TN 37403. Please visit UTC’s website for directions.
Parking: Visitor Parking instructions can be found on UTC's website. As mentioned on the website, there is a Visitors Parking Garage, which is the 5th Street Garage. It is located across E. 5th Street from the University Center – it is situated in between the Campus Recreation Center and the old Cemetery. It is likely the most convenient location for parking.
Finding the Room: The Hearing is located in the Chattanooga Room – which is located on the 2nd Level of the University Center. The room is closest to the Lansing Court entrance to the building.You can view a map of the University Center here and campus map here .