The STABLE Program Renewal Course
The STABLE Program Renewal Course
Description and Target Audience: The S.T.A.B.L.E. Program (Sugar & Safe Care, Temperature, Airway, Blood Pressure, Lab Work and Emotional Support) is designed for all healthcare providers involved with the pre-transport stabilization of neonates. This workshop is intended for RN’s, LPN’s, Advanced Practice RN’s, Respiratory Therapists, physicians, and Pre-hospital healthcare workers. Premature and ill infants benefit when all healthcare providers have participated in learning a systematic approach to identification of problems and a standardized approach to care provision. Participants will practice a team approach to infant assessment, identification of problems, and care strategies. All team members learn and practice all skills taught.
At the end of this course, participants should be able to:
· Discuss safe, quality patient care and prevention and measures to eliminate preventable adverse events.
· Discuss methods to establish intravenous access and monitor and normalize the patient’s blood sugar. Demonstrate ability to accurately calculate glucose doses based on body weight.
· Identify measures to prevent cold stress and hypothermia.
· Discuss methods to support ventilation and maintain a normal acid- base balance. Demonstrate ability to accurately interpret neonatal ABG’s. Demonstrate ability to secure ETT in skills station.
· Verbalize clinical presentation and treatment strategies for hypovolemic, cardiogenic, and septic shock. Accurately calculate fluid resuscitation doses based on body weight.
· Compare and contrast most common types of neonatal sepsis and identify appropriate laboratory studies. Demonstrate ability to calculate ANC and IT ratio of CBC values correlate lab findings with infant condition, and be able to predict next best action to take.
· Identify the crisis a NICU hospitalization places on the family and participate in group discussion to explore varied methods to offer emotional support to the family.
Melissa Robbins RN – Staff Nurse
Cox Monett, Monett, MO
We reserved the right to substitute educators.
Program Agenda: * post-test included in time allotted for each module
0715-0730 Sign-in; self-grade pre-assessment
0730-0830 Sugar and Safe Care module
0830-0930 Temperature module
0945-1130 Airway module
1130-1230 LUNCH (on your own)
1230-1315 Blood pressure module
1315-1415 Lab work module
1430-1445 Emotional support module; mixed module test
1445-1500 Quality improvement module
1500 Evaluations & adjournment
Testing: Satisfactory completion of objectives will occur through program attendance and achievement of minimum passing score 85% on post-test. Renewal cards will be issued by The S.T.A.B.L.E. Program and mailed to participants upon satisfactory completion of objectives.
Course Length: 7.5 hours
Certification Length: Course cards are issued.
Includes: Student Manual and course card.
Location: CoxHealth Education Center, CoxHealth North, K400, 4th Floor, Classroom #1.
Directions: Enter Cox North from the Robberson Ave. Northwest Entrance. Upon entering the building turn right and take the elevator to the 4th floor. You will arrive in the Education Center lobby.
Information presented during this activity represents the views and opinions of the presenters and does not necessarily constitute the opinion, endorsement of, or promotion by CoxHealth.
No sponsorship or commercial support has been received for this activity.
All speakers and planning committee members for this activity have indicated they do not have any conflicts of interest or significant financial affiliations with any pharmaceutical or medical device companies. The Stable Program created this activity.
Fees subject to change at any time.