The Science of the MotherBaby Bond
Saturday, August 11, 2012 from 9:00 AM to 12:30 PM (EDT)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
The Science of the MotherBaby Bond
Based on the Concepts in The Greatest Pregnancy Ever
By Laurel Wilson, IBCLC, CCCE, CLE, CLD, CPPFE
3 Contact Hours provides by CAPPA.
Unlock the secrets of the internal world of mother’s and babies during pregnancy. Learn about how you can help support families to optimize their health and the long-term health and happiness of their babies.
- Has anyone ever told you that you can get to know your baby and bond with her before she is even born?
- Do you know that your baby’s personality is shaped by your emotions, stress levels, and environment during pregnancy?
- Are you looking for ways to address the physical challenges in pregnancy that don’t require prescriptions?
- Are you aware that starting in pregnancy you can help your baby develop positive relationships with the important people in your life?
The Science of the Mother-Baby Connection
by Laurel Wilson, IBCLC, CCCE, CLE, CLD
The internal world of the mother and child is now known to be a strong influence in the behavior and personality of a child. Emerging science is focusing on this crucial prenatal and early postpartum period and how the emotional experience of the mother has a lot to do with who babies turn out to be. Gone are the days when professionals need to teach moms about the aches and pains of pregnancy and medical intervention; what is needed today is an understanding of how the motherbaby connection forms the dynamic of the family.
Chronic stress in mothers leads to babies who cry more, sleep less, and are anxious.
A mother’s thoughts create chemical signals that literally form her baby’s brain and lead to a happy or anxious child.
At no other time in their child’s life do parents influence who that child will be, both emotionally and physically, than during pregnancy and the first years of a child’s life.
- The science that related to the mother baby bond – epigenetics basic intro
- What we know about genes/DNA
- Consciousness of baby
- Chemistry of stress and love
- Effects of stress on baby, pregnancy and mother.
- a. Students will be able to explain what epigenetics is and why the emotional and physical prenatal experience is key to happy, healthy development of a child.
- b. Students will identify at least 2 negative outcomes of chronic stress on pregnancy and the developing baby.
- c. Students will be able to define neuropeptides and identify their importance in the prenatal period.
- d. Students will be able to define what the EQ is, emotional quotient, and give one reason why it is so important to the long term health of a child.
Consciousness and the MotherBaby Bond
Becoming conscious is becoming self-aware, aware of our thoughts and feelings. Thoughts and feelings shape daily lives, affecting our health, interpersonal relationships, stress levels and the growth of our babies. Studies show that our beliefs and attitudes have a direct impact on our overall health. From the moment of conception throughout the pregnancy, the mother’s every thought, action, and experience changes the personality and health of the baby. This session discusses concrete things that healthcare providers can do to help families improve the motherbaby connection.
Key Concepts to be developed:
- Self awareness
- Healthy Boundaries
- Conscious agreement
- Empowerment vs. Guilt
- Students will define self-awareness and describe how it impacts pregnancy.
- Students will define conscious agreement and explain the primary way it is different from informed consent.
- Students will be able to give 2 reasons creation of healthy boundaries with interpersonal relationships of the pregnant is so crucial to the healthy development of the baby.
- Students will e able to list at least 2 way they can successfully work with clients to encourage conscious agreement and self-awareness during pregnancy.
Questions and Answers
When & Where
Lotus Life Press, LLC
Finally, here is a book written by real pregnancy experts that provides keys to unlocking the secrets of having the greatest pregnancy ever! Extraordinary scientific findings shared in this book will forever change the way you view pregnancy and your growing baby.
The Greatest Pregnancy Ever offers advice for creating a peaceful, joyful, and positive beginning for your family. This book offers insights and tips for addressing fears and anxieties, managing stress, increasing comfort during pregnancy, and creating a way of life that will transform you, your baby, and ultimately the world you live in.
Authors and pregnancy experts Laurel Wilson and Tracy Wilson Peters know that parents do not need to read volumes of encyclopedic detail on pregnancy in order to learn what is important. Instead, The Greatest Pregnancy Ever offers real-life solutions to the emotional and physical issues pregnant women face.
This book is designed around four keys that can unlock the secrets to having the greatest pregnancy ever. The keys relate to specific time periods and concepts during pregnancy. When parents focus on incorporating these keys into their lifestyle, it positively influences the behavior and personality of their child. No longer should the information given to pregnant women focus primarily on the aches and pains of pregnancy; what is needed today is an understanding of how important the motherbaby bond is and how this bond forever impacts the family dynamic. The Greatest Pregnancy Ever is the only book that meets this need.
This book shares little known facts that can change the entire experience of pregnancy and parenting for families. For example:
· Chronic stress in pregnancy can lead to a baby who cries more, sleeps less, and is anxious.
· A mother’s thoughts and feelings create chemical signals that literally form her baby’s brain and develop into emotional intelligence.
· Only during pregnancy and the first few years of a child’s life can parents truly influence who their child will become, both emotionally and physically.
All moms want to do whatever they can to positively impact the development of their child. They want to have the greatest pregnancy ever, and luckily it is possible with the information and practices in this book.
The keys relate to the concept of being able to B.O.N.D. This connection is imperative to the baby, the mother, and the partner for overall health and wellness. Many parents find with their busy, overscheduled, and stressful lives that seeking connection is just one more item on their to-do list. The Greatest Pregnancy Ever solves this dilemma by providing very simple tools, techniques, and tips for parents to use. They not only make connection possible, but ease stress and improve parents’ daily lives and their relationships.
The book is organized into four parts:
B.O.N.D. - Keys to Bonding
· B-Be-ing - Conception, The Beginning
· O-Observing - The First Trimester
· N-Nourishing - The Second Trimester
· D-Deciding - The Third Trimester
There is no time more important than right now to introduce these concepts to expectant parents. With cesarean rates approaching 40 percent, preterm births steadily on the rise, and the increased stress levels of mothers, this information is vital to protecting future generations. The primary factors that increase the risk to pregnancy and the infant is chronic stress and disconnection between mother and baby. Babies are constantly tuned in to their mother throughout pregnancy and early childhood. Their mother’s thoughts, feelings, and actions lay the groundwork for how the baby perceives the world by molding the child’s brain, organ systems, and emotional development.
Start today by embracing motherhood in an entirely new way—start by having the greatest pregnancy ever!