The Monti StorySLAM (Theme—First Times)
Tuesday, February 19, 2013 at 7:30 PM (EST)
Hosted by Jeff Polish
About The Monti StorySLAM (18 & up event)
The Monti StorySLAM is an open storytelling event, where anyone with a story on a certain theme has a chance to tell it. This is a competitive event, so there will be judges in the audience. At each event, there will be eight storytellers chosen at random; each story is five minutes long; one winner will be declared at the end of the night. Here's how you can tell your story:
- We publicize a theme (this show's theme is First Times.)
- You think, "Hey, I have a story that goes with that theme!"
- You buy a ticket.
- You practice your five-minute story at home and in your car.
- You show up and fill out a form stating that you would like to tell a story (NOTE: You DO NOT have to tell a story to attend. You can just sit back and enjoy the show.)
- During the show, we will pick names from a hat at random, one at a time, and each person called will have five minutes to tell their story.
- After eight stories have been told, one winner will be declared!
Winners from each StorySLAM will qualify for The Monti GrandSLAM in April 2013. The GrandSLAM brings the winners back to compete for the ultimate title of The Monti GrandSLAMpion!
When & Where
The Monti is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that invites people from the community to tell personal stories without the use of notes. It’s just simple storytelling. Each month, events are held around the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area and as far away as Greensboro. The goal is to create an intimate, open, and fun atmosphere where people can relate their personal experiences to one another through narrative.
In March 2009, we launched an offshoot to The Monti called The Monti StorySLAM. This format, most similar to an Open Mic, invites people – anyone – to tell five-minute stories on a given theme of the night. Each night promises an unexpected and refreshing night of provocative entertainment.