Welcome to the 2014 Louisiana Marathon
If you have made it this far…THANK YOU! No matter how well organized a race might be, it would STILL be a total disaster without volunteers. We realize the importance of your time and service and are very appreciative.
The Louisiana Marathon® was established to bring to Louisiana and capital city of Baton Rouge its first multi-format event. On January 19, 2014, the eyes of the world will be focused on the main event of the weekend – The Louisiana Marathon®. Friends, family and curious spectators will line up along the 26.2 miles of roadways filled with inspiring sights and sounds to cheer on the many that chose to run. The Louisiana Marathon® course features a fast, flat, runner-friendly path through the lakes, along the river, around downtown, on the university campus and in historic neighborhoods.
Some facts about The Louisiana Marathon that might be of interest to you:
- This is the third edition of the Louisiana Marathon.
- The idea for The Louisiana Marathon came in 2010 when race organizers wanted a multi-format event in Louisiana that focuses on health and wellness, music, food, culture, and running!
- The Louisiana Marathon partners with several charitable organizations, including Rocketkidz Foundation, Girls on the Run, Teach for America, Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, and Team Gleason.
Please take a couple of minutes to read all information below in its entirety to ensure that your volunteer experience will be a positive one.
To volunteer, review the list of roles above. If you are interested in a particular volunteer role, use the drop down menu on the right of that particular role and choose the number of people you would like to register. You can register multiple people if need be. After choosing the number of registrants, scroll down and click the green "Register" button. You will first be asked to enter the contact information for each registrant. You will also be asked to agree to the terms of a release waiver. Please be sure to complete the entire process until you see a confirmation page. An email will be sent immediately to confirm your volunteer registration on the website and then another email will be sent confirming the shifts you selected, including dates, shift times and locations. If you do not receive these emails, contact us immediately.
- Dress Code: If working indoors, volunteers should wear the volunteer t-shirt that is provided to them with comfortable pants (nothing torn or with holes) and comfortable shoes. If you have not yet received a shirt, please wear a clean top without advertising.
- If working outdoors, please dress for the weather. Remember, the event goes on snow, rain or shine. We want you to be as comfortable as possible.
- Course marshals will receive reflective safety vests. Please return these to your captain when finished with your shift.
- Should you choose to work course set-up or a water station, we recommend you bring a flashlight (in case it's dark during set up.
- One person from each water station must wait for the "Sweep Team" to pick up remaining supplies such as fluid containers, leftover cups, banners, tables, etc.
A COUPLE OF GUIDELINES:
- Treat everyone (spectators, participants and other volunteers) with courtesy. If problems occur, please contact your captain or other staff member. We are there to assist you.
- Before the event, you should have been contacted by your team captain, and supplied with an emergency number. Please let us know if this does not happen.
- At the end of your shift, if you have not been relieved, please tell a captain and stay in your area until a replacement comes. If this is the final or only shift of the event, please check with your captain before leaving your shift.
- ATTENDANCE: We depend on your commitment to participate. Your presence and prompt arrival for your scheduled shifts are absolutely necessary. When you commit, you commit to the selected shift(s) and the entire shift time.
- SHIFT CANCELLATION: All volunteers can manage their itinerary on this website including shift additions, shift changes/cancellations, adding friends/family to shifts. Use your email address and password to login and return to your registration to make any changes.
- In case of an emergency that prevents you from attending, please inform your team captain.
- WEATHER: Our events are rain, snow or shine, so please do not let weather stop you from coming – we still need you!
- Patience is always a must.
- SMILE AND HAVE FUN!
- Great deals to be had at The Louisiana Marathon Expo on Friday and Saturday, January 17-18.
- Awesome T-shirt that associates you as a member of the race staff.
- You will enjoy the rewarding experience as well as that it is a super way to give back to the community.
- You will learn the importance of your services from the athletes as the support helps them forge onward, especially those struggling to finish!
- Meet other fun and committed individuals.
- Easy & fun way to earn service hours if you’re a student.
The information obtained on this site will only be used by The Louisiana Marathon staff. We will not share, trade, sell or give access to your personal information to any other organization without your permission.