San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Dr. Arthur Evans Dr. Kenneth Pargament
The Integration of Spirituality and Behavioral Health Summit
Why it Matters
The purpose of the Department of Behavioral Health and Intellectual disAbility Services (DBHIDS), summit is to gather the highest level of leaders and experts nationally and locally from the academic, faith and behavioral health community, and introduce Philadelphia’s, DBHIDS, Strategic Planning Division’s, Model of Faith and Spiritual Affairs (FSA), development, implementation and the benefits and research on the integration of spirituality and behavioral health treatment. Demonstrated through presentations from Dr. Arthur Evans, Commissioner, of DBHIDS and Dr. Kenneth Paragment, a leading expert on the integration of faith and health, a platform will be provided on understanding, the benefits on the inclusion of faith and behavioral health from a public health approach. FSA employed a variety of platforms – from establishing grassroots outreach collaborations to leveraging partnerships in communities of faith – to create an entity that is a success on a myriad of levels.
- Identify how a government agency supports the integration of treatment and spirituality, by moving from concept to practice.
- Define how research supports the benefits on the integration of faith and treatment.
- Describe at least two ways religion and spirituality differs, in relationship to cultural competencies.
- Discuss the dominant narrative on what the intercession of faith and health looks like.
A Continental Breakfast will be served
PA Certified Alcohol & Drug Counselor; PCB: Behavioral Health Training and Education Network(BHTEN) will award a maximum of 3.0 PCB Approved hours of Education for this training. BHTEN is certified by the Pennsylvania Certification Board, Provider #610
General Audience; CEU: BHTEN will award a maximum of 3.0 CEU (1 CEU=10 contact hours) for the summit participants who are attending the full summit. BHTEN has been approved as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET), 1760 Old Meadow Road, Suite 500, McLean, VA 22102; (703) 506-3275. Completion requires full attendance, participation and the submission of a course evaluation at the end of the workshop.
Schedule for the day:
• Registration, 8-8:30,
• Welcome, Bishop McNear, 8:30-8:40
• Prayer (TBD), 8:40-8:45
• Introductions: Bishop McNear, 8:45-8:50
• Story Teller (TBD), 8:50-8:55
• DBHIDS Transformation and FSA History, Dr. Evans, 8:55-9:25
• Dr. Pargaments Presentation, 9:30-11:30