San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
The Color Run™
Baton Rouge, LA
Volunteering at The Color Run
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at The Color Run. Volunteers are the heart of our event. Your hard work and smiling faces help make this The Happiest 5k on the Planet. Please read through the info below and determine which shift works best for you and your group.
Descriptions, FAQs and course maps will be provided via email to volunteers and volunteer coordinators. Please submit volunteer names and emails by 2 weeks before the event so we can distribute necessary communications. On the morning of the event, a brief orientation will be given onsite for all volunteers regarding their assignments.
Individual Volunteers:Volunteers should be prepared to do any number of volunteer assignments. As the day progresses, Event Directors may need to shift volunteers from one area to another as those areas require either less or more volunteers. Volunteers should be prepared to arrive approx 2 hours before race start time (unless your requested position arrives earlier) and should expect to stay until 1pm, though they may be dismissed earlier. Volunteers can make specific position requests, but may work in any number of different areas based upon the needs of the event.
Teams volunteers: Volunteers may sign up in teams of 10 or more. If volunteering as a team, designate a Team Volunteer Captain and put your team/group name in parenthesis next to your name when you sign up. If you sign up as a team, then plan to check in to volunteer with every member of your team present. This will increase the chances of your entire team being assigned together.
Instructions for TEAM volunteer coordinators:
- Please gather names and emails for every volunteer on your team. We will need to send important pre race communications to your volunteers
- Please pln on gathering 10-15% more names that you need. There is typically 10-15% no show rate with volunteers.
- Please submit the names, emails, and request shifts to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 2 weeks before race day. Include the name of your event city in the subject line.
- Color Zone Volunteer shifts fill quickl. If you have a team of 25 or more and would like to have your own color zone submit your full list of names and emails as soon as possible. We will notify you soon to let you know if a full Color Zone is availible.
- If you have small groups within your large group who would like to work together ( families for example) please indicate it on your group list.
You may request one of four types of volunteer shifts.
You are agreeing to work one of the days of Packet Pick Up. This shift is a fun option available for those who are registered to run the race but would still like to have The Color Run Volunteer experience. It a day full of fun, direct communication with excited Color Runners and experienced Color Run staff.
Volunteer needs: 40 people (20 per day)
Timeline: 2 days before race 10am-6pm / 1 day before race 10am-6pm
This involves distributing the runner packets to participants before race day. Pickup will begin 2 days before race day (for a Saturday race, pick up will start on Thursday). The pickup will happen for about 8 hours at a time in a designated location for the two days prior to race day. This could be a good fit for a race participant to get further involved in the race. Volunteers may work multiple days if they wish.
General Race Morning:
You are agreeing to arrive 2 hours before the race and go wherever you are most needed. You are amazing. Like, super hero kind of amazing. (you can see a list of some of the general race morning tasks below)
Volunteer needs: 100 people
Timeline: 6am-1pm race morning
Setup: Our setup crews could use an extra hand or two to ensure the course and festival areas are ready by race time. They will help with the setup of color zones, booths, barricades, starting and finish lines.
Race Day check-in: Be the first face a new color runner sees on race morning. Check in runners and hand out shirts, color, bibs, etc.
Parking Volunteers: In order for our participants to race they need to get to the venue…our parking volunteers make it easier for them to do that. If you’ve ever wanted to be the officer in the intersection waving your parking wand, here’s your chance.
Volunteer/Info Tent: Help us get everyone point in the right direction on race morning.
Starting Line: Our starting line volunteers help with assisting our runners to the starting line, grouping the runners at the start line, and making sure participants get through the start safely. The anticipation of the start makes the starting line a fun place to be right before the race.
Course Direction: These volunteers ensure our racers go the right direction. The only thing worse than going the wrong direction and losing time, is going the wrong direction and missing a color station. Our course directors ensure this doesn’t happen by being located at key turns and crossings.
En-route Aid Station: Midway through the race we provide water to our runners. Here you will be able to see the runner’s mid-race, colorfully exhausted and grateful for the cup of water you hand them.
Finish Line: The Finish Line crew gets to welcome our runners to the Color Festival. They distribute our snacks and water, as well as cheer the runners on. They also help direct people to any aid they need.
Festival Help: Our festival team help make sure our post race festival runs smoothly. They will help with general crowd control. The may help with the post race cleaning station. They may help with some of the games and events taking place on the festival stage. They will need to be ready for just about anything.
Race Morning Color Zone:
You are agreeing to working in one of our four on-course color zones. You will receive specific instruction. You will get really dirty. And you will look glorious when it’s all over.
Volunteer needs: 100 people
Timeline: race morning 6am-1pm
(there are 4 stations of 25 people)
Color Zone: Maybe the most unique volunteer job in the WORLD!! – Yeah we said it. This job includes throwing powdered “color” at racers as they pass our 4 color stations. You will get really colorful (read: get head to toe fully covered in colored paint powder). Make sure that you wear old clothing, as they will get covered and stained, do not wear brand new shoes etc. You will also be the front line of our cleaning crew. Color Zone Volunteers will work for 30-40 minutes after the last runner passes to sweep and dispose of the excess color and prepare the course to be re-opened to the public. If you can gather up a volunteer group of 25 people, you have a very good chance of getting yourself into a color zone. All color zone volunteers have to be over 16 years old, this is a high intensity job, you have to be able to follow directions and lift a minimum of 25 lbs. Color Zone But act fast, these spots fill up.
Post Race Clean Up:
You want to help, but you also want to sleep in. Show up at 10. Enjoy the last few minutes of the Color Run post race festival. Then help us clean up. We’ll love you forever.
Volunteer needs: 25 people
Timeline: Race Day 10am-2pm
Cleanup Crew: It’s a dirty job, but somebody’s got to do it. Our cleanup crews make The Color Run possible. Cleanup crews will help sweep the course and festival areas to ensure all areas are free from debris, litter, and color caused by the race. They will also help us break down and pack up The Color Run equipment. They will be considered heroes.
- You will enjoy the rewarding experience.
- Great way to give back to your community.
- You will learn the importance of your servivces from the athletes as the support helps them forge onward.
- Meet other fun and committed individuals.
- Easy & fun way if you're a student to gain service hours.
A COUPLE OF GUIDELINES:
- Please treat everyone (spectators, participants, and other volunteers) with respect and courtesy. If problems occur, please contact your volunteer captain or other staff member. We are there to assist you!
- Before the event, you should have been contacted by your volunteer captain, and supplied with an emergency number. Please let us know if this does not happen.
- At the end of your shift, please tell a your captain that you have finished your shift.
- ATTENDANCE: We depend on your commitment to participate. Your presence and prompt arrival for your schedule shifts are absolutely necessary. When you commit, you comit to selected shift(s) and the entire shift time.
- SHIFT CANCELLATION: All volunteers can manage their itenerary on this website including shift changes, cancellations, and adding friend/familys to the shifts. Use your email adress and password to login and return to you registration to make any changes.
- In case of an emergency that prevents you from attending, please contact your volunteer captain.
- Rain or shine, The Color Run™ will take place. We need you regardless!
- Patience is alway a must when dealing with an event of this magnatude.
- Have fun and enjoy yourself!
The information obtained on this site will only be used for the purpose of volunteering. We will not share, trade, sell or give acess to your personal information to any other organization without your permission