San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Get a Flip Video camera from us (to keep) and start making videos to attract attention, volunteers and contributions to your nonprofit.
A recent survey report of nonprofits tell us video is important, though the cost and know-how are barriers.
This workshop is for Santa Cruz County nonprofits, with limited resources who want to dive into making videos. We can accommodate ten teams of two people (only one team per organization).
By the end of the four sessions your team will learn:
- How to tell a compelling story using video;
- How to film, edit and share it; and
- How to post it on your website, YouTube and other social media channels.
Production of the Flip Video camera was discontinued in 2011, but you'll still find users, parts and support that make it a worthwhile tool.
Learning to use this simple pocket camera gives you skills you can transfer to digital movie making with your smartphone or other device. It's easy, low-cost and fun!
In order to participate you must:
- Be staff members or volunteers of a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization in Santa Cruz County (or a group operating under a fiscal sponsor);
- Have the same two people from your organization attend all four sessions, without exception;
- Have use of at least one laptop computer brought to all four sessions. Preferred and easiest to use system: Mac with iMovie. Acceptable is newer PC operating system (Windows 7 or higher). Note: Laptops should have at least 15 gigabytes of free space available on the hard drive. If you have a better video making camera with editing software you're welcome to bring that instead; and
- Commit to completing at least one video by the end of the four sessions that you share with us.
Ian Slattery is a documentary storyteller and filmmaker. He describes himself as an activist and an optimist. He produces, directs and edits highly engaging videos for nonprofits and foundations.
Among his accomplishments, he produced, directed or edited over 70 short videos for the Teaching Channel and directed a four-year community engagement campaign for the Emmy-nominated PBS documentary Soldiers of Conscience.
When: Fridays: September 13, September 27, October 18 and November 15, 2013
Time: 10:00 a.m. to 2 p.m. (bring your lunch and don't forget your laptop)
Questions? Call 831.662.2030
When & Where
Community Foundation Santa Cruz County
Whether you're a donor, professional advisor or nonprofit, you'll find workshops, free consultation, a resource library and networking opportunities here at your local community foundation.