Saturday, December 1, 2012 from 8:30 AM to 7:45 PM (EST)
Live simulcast of global event from Washington DC plus local Akron area speakers.
On December 1, 2012, TEDxWomen 2012 will once again turn the spotlight on the ideas of women. This is the third conference in the TEDxWomen series, and the first TEDxAkronWomen event. This conference has sparked a vibrant ongoing conversation about women and girls worldwide who challenge and redefine the traditional rules and roles ascribed to women and men, girls and boys. We are pleased to bring this conversation to Northeast Ohio.
Our theme for 2012 is The Space Between, which will deepen the conversation we started at our previous conferences—how women are less likely to approach subjects from a black-or-white perspective as they see the gray area in between. There is a curiosity in wanting to explore what is in between extremes, to gain the big picture and find the areas where we need more understanding and perhaps compromise. Women know that this is where life happens—the places in between. TEDxWomen 2012 is hosted by Pat Mitchell, president and CEO, The Paley Center for Media.
This year’s speakers include:
- Julia Bluhm and Izzy Labbe: two young women who successfully petitioned Seventeen magazine to stop altering face and body shapes of girls with photoshop.
- Anita Sarkeesian: a feminist media critic who initiated a successful Kickstarter campaign to examine gender tropes in video games. Shortly after, a Flash game, where users could punch a likeness of Sarkeesian, went viral, underscoring the sexism she sought to unveil.
- Bob Woodruff: a former ABC war correspondent who suffered a traumatic brain injury while embedded in Iraq, and his wife, Lee, who will describe their journey of starts and stops.
- Eve Ensler: a well-known feminist playwright, performer, writer, activist, and author of the The Vagina Monologues.
- Chung Hyun Kyung: a Korean spiritual leader and ecofeminist.
- Musimbi Kanyoro: head of the Women’s Global Fund.
Local perspective from Northeast Ohio:
In addition to joining the TEDxWomen 2012 community for a live simulcast, we will have 10 local Akron speakers who will provide their perspectives on The Space Between:
Becky Moreland founder of RAHAB Ministries which helps troubled women discover they can begin a new life.
Julie Tsirambidis CNP, MSN, Director, Advanced Practice, Akron Children's Hospital
Suzie Graham President and CEO, Downtown Akron Partnership
Theresa Proenza civic leader and education management professional
Dr. Judit E. Puskas Professor in Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering Professor of Polymer Science, The University of Akron
Michelle Henry Founder and President, CMOR (Center for Marketing & Opinion Research)
Norma Rist, President CEO Consulting Inc., founder Boardroom Group, author of Small Business Savvy
Dianne Newman, Shifrin Newman Smith Inc., attorney focusing her practice on Social Security Disability Law and community leader.
Yolanda Parker Executive Director of L.I.N.K.S Community and Family Services
Dr. Jennifer Martin Assistant Professor of Education, University of Mount Union. Editor of the two-volume series Women as Leaders in Education: Succeeding Despite Inequity, Discrimination, and Other Challenges.