TEDMEDLive at St David's Medical Center
JOIN US for TEDMEDLive from Washington, DC! An HD simulcast presented in Austin for the first time through a collaboration of TEDxAustin + St David's Medical Center. As some of the most involved members of our community we're pleased to give you the first opportunity to register for FREE tickets.
TEDMED is where the world’s most creative minds meet healthcare’s most innovative science for intellectual cross-pollination.The result is a one-of-a-kind opportunity to stimulate inspiration, innovation and imagination; to generate fresh insights and surprising breakthroughs.
TEDMED takes place at the Opera House of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, DC, April 10-13, 2012 and consist of eleven 90 minute sessions, each featuring an unforgettable mix of speakers, entertainers, and audience collaboration.
You’ll have the opportunity to do more than just watch passively. By using the TEDMEDConnect Mobile app, you’ll be able to connect “live” to the TEDMED stage to participate in live polls and activities, ask and answer questions, and share comments with the speakers. Be part of the conversation about the future of health and medicine!
Who’s speaking at TEDMED 2012? Here’s just a sampling:
- Francis S Collins, Director of the National Institutes of Health: “From discovery to health: Does it have to be a long and winding road?”
- Albert-László Barabási, Director of Northeastern University’s Center for Complex Network Research: “Do your proteins have their own social network?”
- Gail McGovern, President CEO of American Red Cross: “What happens when one person’s disease becomes everybody’s business?”
- Andrew Read, Director of Penn State’s Center for Infectious Disease Dynamics: “The bugs are getting smarter. Are we?”
- Jonathan Eisen, University of California Davis: “Who are ‘Me, Myself, and Us’?”
- Otis Brawley, Chief Medical Officer of the American Cancer Society: “War on cancer, year 40: Who’s winning?”
…along with singer/songwriters, entrepreneurs, poets, students, acrobats, game scientists, spoken word artists, and many more. The full list is developing here.
What are TEDMED Talks like? Experience some for yourself! Visit TEDMED and watch some of the Most Popular talks
Here are the times for TEDMEDLive at St David's Medical Center - join us when and as often you can!
- Wednesday, April 11, 2012:
- Session 2: 7:45am – 9:30am “Taking the Long View”
- Session 3: 10:15am – 11:45am “The Missing Ingredients”
- Session 4: 1:15pm – 3:00pm “The Shape of Things”
- Session 5: 4:00pm – 5:45pm “Matters of the Mind”
- Thursday, April 12, 2012:
- Session 6: 7:45am – 9:30am “You Get What You Select For”
- Session 7: 10:15am – 11:45am “Our Machines, Ourselves”
- Session 8: 1:15pm – 3:00pm “The Choices We Make”
- Session 9: 4:00pm – 5:45pm “Focusing on the Unseen”
- Friday, April 13, 2012:
All sessions will be held in the 5th floor auditorium of the Medical Office Building at St. David's Medical Center located at 3000 I-35 Frontage Rd (and East 30th Street).
Parking is available in the Medical Office Building Garage #2 right off the corner of East 30th Street and I-35 frontage road. Please use the elevator in the garage that serves all floors of the Medical Office Building. Please look for event signage on East 30th Street and at the garage driveway to direct you.
Beverages and light refreshments will be available courtesy of SDMC.
Sessions are limited to 160 guests, so make sure and register right now. You must register for each individual session you would like to attend and can register for 4 tickets per session. We encourage you to bring your friends, family, colleagues, and clients. And clients, be sure to bring your healthcare practitioners!
You can read about TEDMED 2012 here.
TEDMEDConnect Mobile Application
Download the TEDMEDConnect Mobile App You can find links to the iPhone, iPad, Android, and mobile web versions of TEDMED Connect at http://bit.ly/IzNM4R or just search for “TEDMED Connect” in your app store.
The App will:
- Allow all of our 1,200+ Kennedy Center Delegates and tens of thousands of TEDMEDLive participants to connect "live" to the speakers on the TEDMED stage and ask them questions or transmit comments.
- Contain the up-to-the-minute TEDMED schedule, including a handy "What's On Now" feature.
- Provide users the ability to view photos from TEDMED and upload photos from TEDMEDLive viewing locations.
- Allow users to participate in live polls and games.
- Give users the opportunity to request a follow-up "Science-Kit" from speakers.
- Allow users to download the conference program.
- Connect users to Facebook and Twitter.
TEDxAustin Location ID: 716566
When prompted by the app, input the TEDxAustin location ID and your personal email address so each user can identified and communicate with the Kennedy Center stage or speakers.
(please note: TEDMEDLive participants will NOT have access to the Delegates section of the application)
To your best health!
The TEDxAustin Team
Austin is a bustling hub for innovation, a place where ideas incubate, mingle, develop and lead the world forward. It is this pulse and hum that forms the heart of TEDxAustin, which became an official TEDx licensee in 2009.
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TED has created a program called TEDx. TEDxAustin is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience.