Teaching Online with iCollege (TOWI)
Monday, June 9, 2014 at 9:00 AM - Monday, July 14, 2014 at 12:00 PM (EDT)
Online, United States
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Teaching online with iCollege (TOWI) is a five (5) week course covering the technological skills and instructional design concepts necessary to teach an online course at GPC.
TOWI is taught completely online, in iCollege. Each weekly module will begin on Monday and end on Sunday. We recommend that you complete each weekly module by Sunday and be ready to begin the next week on Monday.
There are no required face-to-face meeting and no required online meeting times. You can work at your own pace. You will need approximately 3 hours a week to work through the course materials and assignments.
1. Write clear and measurable instructional objectives
2. Create online lectures (in one or more of the formats discussed in the course)
3. Create multimedia components
4. Use the synchronous and asynchronous communication tools available at GPC
5. Design online student activities
6. Create online assessment using the iCollege assessment, assignment, and grading form tools
7. Create a Glossary or media collection using the iCollege media library tool
8. Create an online syllabus
9. Create grade book formulae
During the week, the instructor will be available during online ‘office hours’ (at posted times) through Wimba classroom to assist you.
In order to be successful, we recommend the following,
1- Familiarity with web browsers such as internet explorer or Firefox.
2- Ability to save files to your computer or USB drive.
3- Knowledge of word processing software such as Microsoft word.
4- Access to a microphone and speakers (headsets are ideal) to participate in online ‘office hours’.
5- High speed internet access.
When & Where
The Georgia Perimeter College ideaSPOT provides:
- Consultation & Support
- The ideaSPOT is staffed with instructional technologists, instructional designers, and other support staff ready to assist you with integrating technology into your teaching and learning practices. The ideaSPOT staff can meet with you 1-1 to provide consultations on how to address instructional design issues related to student retention, student engagement, and student performance in your teaching as well as provide you with instruction on best practices for using technology and the services provided by Georgia Perimeter College. Request a consultation now!
- Instructional Design
- Professional Development
- Place to explore new ideas
- The ideaSPOT provides a safe place for faculty to explore new instructional strategies using technology. The campus based ideaSPOT lab locations are where you will find your ideaSPOT staff, high-end Mac and Windows workstations with specialized graphics and video editing software, mobile devices, classroom technology such as Smartboards and clickers, and audio/visual equipment. Find an ideaSPOT location now! The ideaSPOT also provides grants to faculty to enhance instruction.