Teaching online with iCollege (TOWI) is a five (5) week course covering the technological skills and instructional design concepts necessary to teach an online course at GPC.
TOWI is taught completely online, in iCollege. Each weekly module will begin on Monday and end on Sunday. We recommend that you complete each weekly module by Sunday and be ready to begin the next week on Monday.
There are no required face-to-face meeting and no required online meeting times. You can work at your own pace. You will need approximately 3 hours a week to work through the course materials and assignments.
1. Write clear and measurable instructional objectives
2. Create online lectures (in one or more of the formats discussed in the course)
3. Create multimedia components
4. Use the synchronous and asynchronous communication tools available at GPC
5. Design online student activities
6. Create online assessment using the iCollege assessment, assignment, and grading form tools
7. Create a Glossary or media collection using the iCollege media library tool
8. Create an online syllabus
9. Create grade book formulae
During the week, the instructor will be available during online ‘office hours’ (at posted times) through Wimba classroom to assist you.
In order to be successful, we recommend the following,
1- Familiarity with web browsers such as internet explorer or Firefox.
2- Ability to save files to your computer or USB drive.
3- Knowledge of word processing software such as Microsoft word.
4- Access to a microphone and speakers (headsets are ideal) to participate in online ‘office hours’.
5- High speed internet access.