kidOYO Summer Camp 3 [Stony Brook University] July 20th - 24th
- Science & Technology
- Stony Brook University, Stony Brook University NY
Join kidOYO for this innovative 21st Century Skill Development Opportunity
“Computer Science is a liberal art, it’s something that everyone should be exposed to, everybody should
have a mastery of it to some extent” ~ Steve Jobs
Computer Science develops students’ computational and critical thinking skills and shows them how to create, not simply use, new technologies. This fundamental knowledge is needed to prepare students for the 21st century,regardless of their ultimate filed of study or occupations.
Skilled teachers are in high demand. Take the first step by learning how to utilize the educational programming language Scratch, developed by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in their Life Long Kindergarten Group.
Work with Experienced Instructors to learn how to utilize Scratch (free for downloading) in a 3 hour workshop,then follow up with six 2 hour virtual classes to build lesson plans to can align to common core. Teachers will have the chance to work together and share lesson plans to take back to their own classrooms. When ready to implement in your classroom you will have a 30 minute support session included with your registration fee.
Program Details as follows:
(1) 3 Hour Workshop to introduce the Scratch programming language and gain a working knowledge of how to utilize it in the
classroom. Limited to 18 Participants.
(6) 2 Hour Online Virtual Lesson Plan Builder session delivered by the instructors of the workshop.
(1) 30 Minute Virtual Support from instructors of the workshop to assist in classroom implementation of the first lesson.
Professional Development Certificates provided by Suffolk County Science Teachers Association upon completion of the program.
Feb 12th, 2014 [4pm to 7pm] ~ 3 Hour Workshop at Sayville Middle School
Online Virtual Lessons occur from [7pm - 9pm] on the following dates:
Feb 25th, March 4th, March 11th, March 18th, March 25th and April 1st, 2014
Program Cost: $380 payable to Noiz Ivy.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Professional Feedback Loop
• I’ve had the opportunity to work with Devon and Melora in a number of educational settings and each time I’m more impressed with the knowledge and skills they bring to STEM teaching and learning. They have expertise in a number of areas such as programming, the design process, the educational use of online gaming, and they are always quick to recognize the potential of new technology and bring the most valuable aspects of that tech into their curriculum. I’ve been amazed by how quickly they recognized the educational value of emerging technology such as the MaKey
MaKey or e-textiles and brought that tech into a workshop or class. I’d also highlight the positive and encouraging nature of their interactions with their students, especially their ability to implement the idea of “failing forward”, a necessary component for helping students really understand the nature of the “silent E” in STEM, engineering.
~ Dr. George Meadows, Professor of Science & Makerspace-In-Education Pioneer, College of Education,
University of Mary Washington
• KidOYO's Teacher Dojo is the perfect compliment to any school or organization looking to train and prepare its
workforce and students for our increasingly complex, 21st century environment. KidOYO supports Hartwood's
professional staff development and vision of becoming a nationally recognizable STEAM (science, technology,
engineering, arts and math) school site. The facilitators knowledge of progressive adult learning needs and
responsiveness to learning new and emerging technologies was exactly what my staff was looking for. We are excited
to have formed this partnership, and together, we will better prepare students for a life in a globally interconnected
world where collaboration, creativity, and innovative thinking is valued!
~ Scott Elchenko, Principal & Makerspace Champion - Hartwood Elementary School, VA
In order to purchase these tickets in installments, you'll need an Eventbrite account. Log in or sign up for a free account to continue.