Syl Arena Speedliter's Intensive - San Francisco 2011
Saturday, October 1, 2011 at 10:00 AM - Sunday, October 2, 2011 at 5:00 PM (PDT)
SPEEDLITER'S INTENSIVE™ SEMINAR & WORKSHOP
Canon Speedlites Demystified & Untangled
Canon flash photography need not be confusing or frustrating. Nor does it have to look bad. The keys to shooting great images with flash are: (1) know what your Speedlite can and cannot do for you, (2) get your flash off the top of your camera as quickly as you can, and (3) modify the light flying from your flash to suit your visual objectives.
Attend the Seminar or the Seminar and the Workshop - depending upon your skill level and how much you want to learn.
The SEMINAR - Saturday, October 1, $175
Suitable for Novice to Intermediate shooters: No prior experience with Speedlites is necessary. This session will emphasize and demonstrate the use of a single Speedlite and provide a broad foundation of concepts about flash photography. A quick intro to the basic concepts of Canon's built-in wireless system will be provided at the end of the day. (Advanced techniques for multiple Speedlites are covered in detail during the Workshop on Sunday.)
Seminar Topics Include:
- How You See vs. How Your Camera Sees
- Picking the Best Camera Exposure Mode: Av, Tv, and Manual
- Speedlite Exposure Modes: E-TTL and Manual
- Using Exposure Compensation & Flash Exposure Compensation
- How Simple Flash Modifiers Will Help You Craft Better Light
- Basic Techniques For Getting Your Speedlite Off-Camera
- Techniques For Portraits With One Speedlite
- Intro to Canon's Built-in Wireless System
Format: The Seminar is series of entertaining talks and demos by Syl. You are encouraged to bring a DSLR and Speedlite so that you can follow along with the demonstrations on how and when to push the buttons and turn the dials on your gear. Students do not actively shoot during the Seminar.
Group: Up to 60 people
The WORKSHOP - Sunday, October 2, $550 (includes Seminar ticket)
Suitable for Intermediate to Pro shooters: This small group workshop is designed to give students a fast-paced day of hands-on experience shooting Speedlites both indoors and outside (weather permitting). You should be familiar with the fundamental operation of a Speedlite and the basic concepts of flash photography (Saturday's seminar is included in the price and will give you these basic concepts).
Workshop Topics Include:
- Canon Wireless: Configuring Masters & Slaves
- The Hows & Whys of Using Radio Triggers
- High-Speed Sync: How to Flash in Broad Daylight
- Advanced Light Modifiers: Softboxes, Diffusion Panels, Etc.
- Creative Manipulation Of White Balance & Gels
- Techniques For Portraits With Multiple Speedlites
- Techniques For Speedliting Events / Weddings
- Mixing Speedlites With Larger Strobes
- Multi / Stroboscopic
- Time: Each session will start at 9:00am and end around 5:00pm. Doors will open at 8:45am.
- Workbook: You will be given a workbook that covers the details of the topics covered in your session.
- Lunch: Lunch will be on your own. There are several food joints nearby.
- Refunds: Sorry, but refunds cannot be provided. If something comes up in your schedule, you may let a friend use your ticket. Just send us an email letting us know the details.
OUR VENUE: RayKo Photo Center
I'm thrilled to be teaching at RayKo -- one of the leading centers for photo creativity in the bay area. If you're not familiar with RayKo, click here.
Directions and parking info here.
When & Where
Syl Arena / PixSylated.com
Syl Arena is the leading authority on squeezing every ounce of creativity from Canon Speedlites. His 'Speedliter's Handbook' has been translated into six languages and remains an international bestseller.