Sustainability Hackathon - hosted by BMW i Born Electric Tour, NYC
Friday, November 16, 2012 at 7:00 PM - Sunday, November 18, 2012 at 4:00 PM (EST)
New York, NY
Hosted by BMW i. BORN ELECTRIC TOUR. New York.
Our hearts go out to the city of New York along both the NYC and NJ Tech Communities following the ravages of Hurricane Sandy. Both BMW and AT&T have donated over $1 million each to relief efforts in order to help those that have been impacted.
AT&T has additionally been working with the City of New York to quickly deploy generator-driving stations and has invited people affected by the storm to visit any of its approximately 400 retail stores in the Northeast to charge their devices.
We encourage those who have been fortunate enough not to be impacted to donate to $10 by texting to the following non-profit organizations:
- REDCROSS to 90999 to support the American Red Cross
- STORM to 80888 to help the Salvation Army
- HUMANE to 80888 to give to the American Humane Society
We are looking for technical as well as non-technical people to build apps, mobile apps and hacks to address some of the most pressing problems in sustainability facing our future as a greener planet. Hack, get fed, compete for prizes across different categories, and most importantly: network with likeminded people to work on new or current projects.
Our sponsors will give you inspiration for your ideas and help you to realize them.
- BMW Group Technology Office USA - our research & development wing in Mountain View, CA, in the heart of Silicon Valley, is on hand to inspire and challenge you with today's most pressing problems in Sustainable Mobility.
- AT&T - with tons of experience running successful hackathons and building mobile apps, we have representatives from AT&T to help you out. Also, check out the other Mobile App Hackathon events and #atthack
- Tendril - sustainability doesn't just mean transportation. Tendril specializes in cloud services for managing your "smart home" and controlling your home appliances according to your energy needs.
- BMW i Ventures - ever wondered who funds new ideas in the area of mobility? BMW's VC company, based directly in Manhattan, wants to meet bright people with new ideas.
See our HackerLeague page for the full schedule. In summary:
- Friday night's networking event kicks off at 7pm on 11/16
- Hacking, accompanied by breakfast, starts at 9am on Saturday 11/17
- More hacking over breakfast from 9am on Sunday 11/18
- Sunday 1:30pm is the deadline for submitting presentations - presentations, judging and prizegiving starts at 2
- Wrap-up by 4pm
The following prizes are experiential and geared towards accelerating you towards a successful business as well as expanding your network and industry knowledge:
- All - Best overall app
- 1st prize - $500 gift cards for the team and one (1) year of the "Small" service from Github for each team member
- 2nd prize - $300 gift cards (per team) and one (1) year of the "Micro" service from Github for each team member
- 3rd prize - $200 gift cards (per team) and six (6) months of "Micro" service from Github for each team member
- AT&T - Best hack using AT&T APIs - http://developer.att.com/API
- 1 prize - $500 in Amazon Gift Cards
- Tendril - Best smarthome hack
- 1 prize - $1500 Apple Mac Store vouchers
- BMW Judge’s Choice
- The CEO of BMW i Ventures will be on the judging panel and will consider hacks for a possible offer of 3 months incubation space at BMW i Ventures in New York. This prize may not be awarded directly on the day of the prizegiving
|Alex Donn - Senior Marketing Manager at AT&T, is based out of sunny Seattle! His passion is educating developers young and old about mobile application development best practices through events like hackathons that fuse the collective interests of multiple technology and business leaders. He loves bacon and is allergic to all types of gluten.||
Mark Platshon - Partner with Birchmere Ventures and Senior Investment Advisor for BMW i Ventures. Previously Mark was a partner in the Cleantech group at VantagePoint and a Silicon Valley CEO for 20+ years. Before joining the venture capital world, Mark was a serial Silicon Valley CEO for over 20 years, including ELO, Idetek, Zing and was co-founder of Amprius, an advanced Lithium-ion battery company spun out of Stanford University.
He was an early investor in Tesla. He has served on the Boards of numerous companies, including Synxis, acquired by Sabre; Everdream, acquired by Dell; Coulomb, Embark, Solexant, Amprius, GLO, Idetek, ELO, Ancore, Zing and Capnia. Mark earned a BSE in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering at the University of Michigan, studied Nuclear Engineering at the Westinghouse Naval Reactor School and obtained his MBA from Stanford University. As a Lieutenant in the Navy, Mark had a joint Navy and Department of Energy appointment to Admiral Rickover’s nuclear submarine engineering staff.
|Rónán Ó Braonáin - is a Senior Advanced Technology Engineer in the Sustainable Mobility group at the BMW Group Technology Office USA in Mountain View, CA. Hailing originally from Ireland, Rónán has over 6 years experience working as a software engineer, originally at IBM, before moving to BMW's Munich headquarters. There he gained a lot of experience with automotive software development, and later led software development on government-sponsored projects in the smarter and greener charging of electric vehicles. Rónán has a BSc (Hons) in Computer Applications from Dublin City University and speaks fluent German.||Dennis Kyle - serves as the Vice President of Strategic and New Markets for Tendril Networks where he oversees the development of Tendril’s non-Utility business relationships. Dennis has over 20 years of leadership experience in Technology and Communications related industries. As one of the early employees at McCaw Communications (which later became AT&T Wireless) he has been involved in the very beginnings of the Communications and Internet revolution. Over the years he and has held numerous senior leadership positions at companies such as Nextlink Interactive and XO Communications as well as Level 3 Communications and Zayo Managed Services where he served as Senior Vice President and President respectively. Dennis has a BS in Industrial Engineering from Northwestern University as well as MBA and MA in “Development Economics” from Stanford University.|
|Adam Wilson - the founder and chief software architect at Orbotix (makers of Sphero), attended the University of Northern Colorado and graduated with a degree in Mathematics and Physics. He has years of experience building custom software and worked in penetration testing for RMSTek – a true hacker at heart. He was involved in a NASA project with internet controlled robotics when he left to get rolling with TechStars and Orbotix.|
Thank you to all who helped to make this possible.
When & Where
Rónán Ó Braonáin
Senior Sustainability Engineer at BMW Group Technology Office USA in Mountain View, CA.
Hailing from Ireland, Rónán worked for a number of years at BMW's Munich, Germany headquarters, before transferring to the Mountain View technology office.
Rónán has taken part in multiple hackathons and has a passion for sustainable mobility and snowboarding.