SuperMax's Loom-A-Thon Against Cancer
Saturday, March 1, 2014 from 3:00 PM to 5:30 PM (PST)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Hello everyone! We are completely oversold on the event! What a beautiful problem to have! Due to the rain we would love for folks to join us every 1/2 hour so we can accommodate everyone. 3:00pm, 3:30pm, 4:00pm, 4:30pm, 5:00pm and 5:30pm. Please come by, enjoy the madness, and hook up your loom contribution for the world record! Even if there isn't room to loom on the spot you can still join us, contribute your pre-made loom chain, and memorialize your contribution with a picture! Thank you all so much for the love!
Can't join us? We welcome contribions at every level - it all makes a difference!
WEBSITES FOR FUNDRAISING:
THIS EVENT HAS THREE GOALS:
1) Celebrate SuperMax's 7th birthday with our wonderful community, raising much-needed awareness about childhood cancers.
2) Raise desperately needed funds for the CAM Center at CHOC Children's, forwarding our advocacy for access to pediatric integrative medicine.
3) Create the LONGEST Rainbow Loom chain in the WORLD thus raising MORE awareness!
Thank you all for joining SuperMax's Loom-A-Thon Against Cancer on March 1st! We have some information for you about the event. We are so excited to Loom Against Cancer with you!
1) The event is at the Clifton C. Miller Community Center, 300 Centennial Way, Tustin, CA. The main entrance to the event will be on the Main Street side of the building, next to the Tustin Library (not the City Hall side).
2) If you are attending the event, please make sure that everyone joining you has a ticket. One category is donation-based and another is free.
3) We encourage pre-event looming! The single and the fishtail have been easy Rainbow Loom styles to achieve long chains with. Please come prepared with any chain that your little loomer has made and that he/she would like to donate to the world record, along with your loom and bands if you'd like to #LoomOn with us at the event.
4) Att endance is drop-in based. Come on by anytime between 3:00-5:30pm! It's more of an open-house than a structured event. We can only fit 200 people in the main room at one time, so we will be offering activities all around the perimeter.
5) We will have an awesome raffle sponsored by MaxLove Brand and the Cloud b company.
6) We will be offering a donation-based rummber band "store" for kiddos who want to pick up some new bands.
7) We will have great merch there, including a MaxLove Brand table.
8) Do you have people in the family who don't Rainbow Loom? We will have an amazing craft area headed up by our friends at Make & Believe! Glitter tattoos too!
9) Healthy and delicious snacks will be provided by Sapphire At School, the healthy school lunch program offered by Sapphire Laguna.
10) Please post event questions to our Facebook event page:https://www.facebook.com/events/1385095855086560/
Spread the word! We will be making some pretty big announcements. Be sure we are heard and share the event with your social networks.
DETAILS ABOUT HOW TO GET INVOLVED:
1) ATTEND: To attend the event and Rainbow Loom with Max, please purchase a ticket at whatever donation amount you would like to contribute. Follow this link for tickets: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/supermaxs-birthday-loom-a-thon-fundraiser-for-choc-childrens-tickets-10387496281. We offer two types of tickets, one is for the donation and the other is free, We just need a headcount for the event so everyone who attends much have at least one kind of ticket.
2) TEAM LOOMING + SPECIAL SUPPORTIVE EVENTS: If you are motivated to help and are interested in Looming outside of the event, selling bracelets and soliciting sponsorships to raise funds, then set up a team with us on CrowdRise: http://www.crowdrise.com/supermaxsloom-a-thon
Active Teams of 8-10 people will be given their own table at the Loom-A-Thon! Once your team is set up you can send out the link and ask for help. Remember to name your team, create a mascot, and maybe even your own uniforms! If you don't live in the area you can still host your own Loom-A-Thon by setting up a team!
3) FROM AFAR: Live outside of the area but you've got some stoked kiddos who want to help?
*****A) You can send us bracelets to be used in the chain itself, helping us make the WORLD record. Remember to post pictures! See below for the address.
*****B) Your amazing kiddos can create and sell bracelets to fundraise for the Loom-A-Thon.
*****C) You can create a Super Loom Team on CrowdRise (see above) and take the Looming and fundraising to another level.
4) DONATE: We will gladly accept rubber band donations! See below for the address. We will also accept donations for the cause! Here's the link: http://www.crowdrise.com/supermaxsloom-a-thon/fundraiser/maxlove
5) VOLUNTEER: We will need help. Please message us at firstname.lastname@example.org to help. We also need "Loom Leaders" who are kids both on the day of who will teach others how to Loom and kids who will make special videos on YouTube teaching kids to loom. For the YouTube videos we request to see them posted here and that they are labeled Loom Against Cancer (design name) with SuperMax with our hashtags (below) so we can track it all.
6) SHARE SHARE SHARE! Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. Let people know you are LOOMING AGAINST CANCER with SuperMax! #LoomAgainstCancer #Loom4Max #LoomOn
MAILING ADDRESS: All donations of bracelets, rubber bands, and funds may be sent to MaxLove Project, PO BOX 105, Tustin, CA 92781.
NONPROFIT INFO: MaxLove Project is a nonprofit 501c3 organization, IRS identification number 45-3792057. Donations made to MaxLove are tax deductible in the U.S.
ABOUT MAX AND THE BACKGROUND TO THE LOOM-A-THON FUNDRAISER: SuperMax is fighting brain cancer. He was diagnosed when he was 4 1/2 and he'll be turning 7 on February 12th. Check out his story at www.facebook.com/teamsupermax. Along with Max's conventional treatments (surgery, chemo, etc.) we have always utilized every integrative and complementary therapeutic tool available to us such as diet, acupuncture, positive healing narratives, massage, herbs, supplements, exercise, and a variety of therapies. Max has been fighting hard for the past 2 1/2 years and has more ahead. He will begin radiation therapy in the next few weeks. We know that it is all of the extra complementary therapies that have helped Max **thrive** through these harsh treatments and surgeries. We believe that *every* child facing down cancer and life-threatening illnesses should have FULL access to these complementary treatment modalities and, with that, we started a nonprofit organization, MaxLove Project, to forward our mission of helping other families with what has helped Max so much.
Essential to Max's thrivership over the past 2 1/2 years is Ruth McCarty, M.S., L.Ac. of Open Mind Modalities. See our cover photo for a picture of Ruth and Max. Ruth is a pioneer in the field of pediatric acupuncture and applications of Traditional Chinese Medicine for kids facing all kinds of challenges. She has been working with kids fighting cancer for decades. Ruth brought acupuncture, acupressure, supplements and essential oils to Max's hospital, CHOC Children's. It's one of the few children's hospitals that offers these services with inpatient care. The services are privately/grant funded however. IT IS OUR GOAL, through this event, to fund these services to be offered at the Outpatient Infusion Center as well. By supporting the growth of this model program we hope to export it to other children's hospitals, so that the integrative approach will catch fire to benefit all kids.
ABOUT MAX & THE RAINBOW LOOM & A WORLD RECORD:
Max is so incredibly passionate about the Rainbow Loom. Through quite a few surgeries recently Max learned to Loom, watching YouTube videos and creating new designs, sometimes just hours after surgery. So, on MARCH 1st, Max and school children from across the area will join forces to create the LONGEST RAINBOW LOOM CHAIN IN THE WORLD! We have applied to the Guinness Book of World Records! The goal is to raise funds for the Complementary and Alternative Medicine Center at CHOC Children's Hospital, headed up by Ruth McCarty AND to RAISE AWARENESS ABOUT PEDIATRIC CANCERS. Cancer kills more kids in the United States than most other life-threatening diseases combined. This is a GREAT way for kids to stand up for kids!
LEARN MORE ABOUT SUPERMAX:
LEARN MORE ABOUT MAXLOVE PROJECT: www.maxloveproject.org
FOLLOW MAXLOVE PROJECT ON FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/maxloveproject
When & Where
MaxLove Project is a nonprofit organization that empowers families fighting childhood cancers and life-threatening conditions with whole-body wellness resources, education and research. We believe that true health starts when families are empowered to be active partners in their child’s healing.
Inspired by SuperMax Wilford, a seven-year-old superhero fighting brain cancer, MaxLove Project is a 100% volunteer-powered, grassroots nonprofit organization founded to help SuperKids thrive against cancer and life-threatening conditions. Our mission is to provide families fighting childhood cancers and life-threatening conditions with accessible, practical, and kid-friendly whole-body wellness. Our ultimate goal is to support SuperKids in overcoming the odds—to thrive in treatment and beyond. We believe that all kids should have full access to every cancer-fighting tool available, including excellent nutrition and therapeutic resources such as acupuncture, physical activity, and healing narratives.
MaxLove Project equips families to thrive within the pediatric healthcare system of today—where the standard of care for most life-limiting illnesses does not include essential integrative therapies—as we work to change the system of tomorrow. We are a community of dedicated change makers who believe in the power of integrative health care for all children.