San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Studio Photography Basics
With Angela Wilson
Studio Photography Basics provides student with classroom and hands-on studio photography education, practical experience of working with studio lighting equipment, backdrops and subjects to produce fantastic and more impactful images. Your instructor will lead you step-by-step through room considerations, type and uses of backdrops, choosing and using studio lighting, application of light modifiers, safely triggering your lights, and determining the correct exposure and white balance for every scene.
Studio Photograpy Basics includes:
- Studio/room considerations: Size, ceiling height, impact of natural light from windows, existing room lighting, floor material, wall colors, temperature and ventilation.
- Backdrops: Muslin, paper, size, colors, backdrop stands, alternate methods of handing backdrops, storage, cleaning, flooring, set creation.
- Lighting equipment: Continuous, strobe, & portrait lighting; power sources, appropriate stands and use of sandbags.
- Light modifiers: Umbrellas, soft boxes, barn doors, gels, honeycomb, beauty dishes, reflectors.
- Triggering devices and methods
- Determining exposure and white balance: Use of white balance cards and camera settings.
- Basic lighting methods: Heads shots, white backdrop, lighting of backdrop, single light, dual lights, three lights, 3:1 ratio and Rembrandt lighting.
- Advanced lighting methods: Head shots and full body, clamshell, halo lighting, white vs. black backgrounds, props, posing and clothing considerations.
Hands On Instruction: Two scenes will be made in the studio and students will be able to photograph live during the 2nd, 3rd and 4th class meetings.
Limit of only 12 photographers ages 18 and older. Register early! Registered students are asked to bring their camera gear, plenty of digital memory, fresh batteries, and note-taking materials.