Student Affairs and Campus Life Project Backpack
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Happy summer colleagues!
As the Division of Student Affairs and Campus Life (SACL) works to build a co-curricular community service and civic engagement program for our students, it makes sense to appropriately role model this civic engagement. Your Student Affairs Leadership Team (SALT) has decided it would be great for SACL to take on a project that would allow the division to come together and give back in an organized way to several of our community partners (e.g. Amherst-Pelham and Regional Public Schools, HadleyPublicSchools, Holyoke Public Schools – Peck, Morgan, Kelly).
· In Holyoke, the percent of students who come from low-income families is 83.4%.
· In Amherst, the percent of students who come from low-income families is 38.7%.
· In Hadley, the percent of students who come from low-income families is 16.7%.
Source: Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education website
Project Backpack allows us to collect and distribute schools supplies to our partners so that income-eligible students have the supplies they need to start the school year.
I know many of you and your families volunteer your time and contribute greatly to our surrounding communities. This project is not meant to replace what you’re doing, but to provide an opportunity for us to do something together as a division and also address a community need. Thank you for all your current and future efforts of service…you make SACL and UMass proud!
If this project appeals to you… you can participate in the following ways:
· Drop off school supplies during the month of July in a Project Backpack bin
o Bin locations: Center for Counseling and Psychological Health, Center for Health Promotion, Center for Student Development, Center for Multicultural Advancement and Student Success, Dean of Students, Everywoman’s Center, Residential Life (10 locations), and the Office of the Vice Chancellor for SACL.
o Pre-K- 5th Grade supplies needed: new/unused backpacks, assignment books, notebooks (single subject), loose leaf paper, construction paper, drawing paper, English/Spanish dictionary, atlas, thesaurus, erasers, 2-pocket folders, glue sticks, markers, crayons, pencils #2, pens (blue/black/red), colored pencils, pencil sharpeners, pencil cases, bookmarks, rulers
o 6th -12th Grade supplies needed: new/unused backpacks, assignment books, notebooks (single subject), loose leaf paper, graph paper, 2-pocket folders, 3-ring binders, 3-ring pencil cases, calculators (basic, scientific, or graphing), rulers, protractors, compasses, flash drives, English dictionary, English/Spanish dictionary, atlas, thesaurus, pens (blue/black/red), pencils #2
· Make personalized cards for students and show your UMass spirit! Kind words of encouragement will mean the world to students receiving the backpacks.
· Sign up to participate in our “Action Day” on Tuesday, August 7th from 3-5pm in the Cape Cod Lounge… this will include organizing our donations, stuffing backpacks, making additional student cards if necessary and delivering items to the schools. Popcorn and drinks will be provided.
· Sign up for an 1 ½ shift to help distribute backpacks August 16th & 17th at Amherst Regional Middle School from 8:30am-2pm each day.
Thank you in advance for your commitment, contribution, and support of this initiative! Annemarie