San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
9:00am - 12:00pm June 17 - 21 Ages guideline: 10-16
For years our unique sensory methods have shown kids the power and joy of reading great stories – so they’ll learn without trying, and want to read more!
This summer, we're showing kids the power and joy of writing their OWN stories, inspired by
- sensory props from great stories: sounds, tastes, odors, objects, and images
- inspiring excerpts by masterful storytellers like J.R.R. Tolkien, Charlotte Bronte, Ray Bradbury, Natalie Babbitt, Ernest Hemingway, Cormac McCarthy, Edgar Allan Poe, Frances Hodgson Burnett, and many more!
- fun activities that show why certain techniques work
- engaging art projects that connect us to our own characters and stories
While having all that hands-on fun, we’ll learn
- narrative arc components and pacing
- powerful description techniques
- how to effect mood and tone
- interesting characterization methods
- how to increase and resolve tension
- intriguing metaphors and similes
- how to emulate the masters
- the power of our own voices
Note: Fee includes all supplies and materials. We'll hold this workshop if enrollment meets the minimum by June 3rd. If your own plans change, please let us know by June 3rd, and we'll gladly issue a full refund.
Campus of Vintage Faith Church (upstairs in the children's building)
350 Mission St
We bring great books to life for kids!
A LitWits workshop is a sensory, creative, kinetic immersion in a pre-read book. We want kids to discover the JOY of reading! So we reach straight into the story to come up with:
sensory props (we see, hear, smell, and feel what the characters did)
bookbites (we taste what the characters ate)
creative projects (we make what a character made)
activities (we do what a character did)
academic handouts (we learn the story's narrative arc, vocabulary, and setting)
creative writing (usually modeled on something written or done in the story)
It's amazing how much kids can learn while they're "just" having fun! We use the same methods in our story and essay writing camps and teen Master Classes, We love helping kids "get" the thrill of well-crafted writing!