San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
9:00am - 12:00pm June 17 - 21 Ages guideline: 10-16
For years our unique sensory methods have shown kids the power and joy of reading great stories – so they’ll learn without trying, and want to read more!
This summer, we're showing kids the power and joy of writing their OWN stories, inspired by
- sensory props from great stories: sounds, tastes, odors, objects, and images
- inspiring excerpts by masterful storytellers like J.R.R. Tolkien, Charlotte Bronte, Ray Bradbury, Natalie Babbitt, Ernest Hemingway, Cormac McCarthy, Edgar Allan Poe, Frances Hodgson Burnett, and many more!
- fun activities that show why certain techniques work
- engaging art projects that connect us to our own characters and stories
While having all that hands-on fun, we’ll learn
- narrative arc components and pacing
- powerful description techniques
- how to effect mood and tone
- interesting characterization methods
- how to increase and resolve tension
- intriguing metaphors and similes
- how to emulate the masters
- the power of our own voices
Note: Fee includes all supplies and materials. We'll hold this workshop if enrollment meets the minimum by June 3rd. If your own plans change, please let us know by June 3rd, and we'll gladly issue a full refund.
Campus of Vintage Faith Church (upstairs in the children's building)
350 Mission St
Making great books a memorable, hands-on experience for kids!
Workshops for ages 7+ and ages 10+
(click on the event to see the breakout times)
We also offer lit-based writing camps and teen Master Classes
It's amazing what kids can pick up while they're "just" having fun! Getting inside a story in sensory ways leads to incidental, natural learning.
Our workshops are joyful immersions in the sights, sounds, smells, tastes, and feel of a single pre-read book. Learning happens through prop-based discussion and creative activities.
LitWits is FUN - and leaves kids craving more great books!
Becky & Jenny